The last few nights have been really really hot at night and I've been having problems getting to sleep.

Last night I had the aircon on and had the timer set to turn off an hour after I thought I'd be asleep. It worked, but I woke up all sticky and wet around 3am. Yuck.

Any other tips that don't involve having the aircon on all the time? (But allow me to sleep).

*Windows open.

*sleep naked.

*use only a sheet - no futons/duvets/doonas/blankets.

*use an electric fan - amazing how a little breeze can make a big difference.

I never use an aircon and sleep like a baby.

Have a warm shower before you go to bed, makes you feel cooler when you step out of it and sleep better. I have an intermittant setting on my aircon and so every hour and half/couple of hours it comes on for a while so keeps the room cool wihtout using loads of electric. Failing that try alcohol!!

Out of interest what are the cost differences between running an aircon for 4 hours solid against an electric fan? Roughly?

My solution to this is to set the aircon to turn itself off after 1.5 hours. Seems to do the trick. Not sure if mine can do this intermittant setting stuff, sounds like a good idea. I'll have to check that out.

A warm shower increases my body temperature making me sweat more or at least feel hotter. Dont know how taking a hot shower makes you feel cooler? wakaranai.gif

My bathtub is filled up and I just sit in that for a few minutes to cool off. Add some onsen salts to it as well. Put a cover on it and you can reuse the water for a few days. I use it anywhere from 3-4 days.

Quote:
I found if I take a warm shower briefly then when I step out my apartment feels cooler
Kinda like how hot climate countries have hot curries/ eat chillies, I read somewhere that hot drinks (tea) will cool you down more than a clod drink, makes you sweat which is supposed to cool you down?

I think what he is trying to say is that it is pretty ineffective. I find the same, it's pretty useless. I used to be quite ketchi about using the aircon but now I just use it as I feel I need it (which isn't too much actually). And after a shower is one of those times.