I wonder if everyone pays this? I just got my pay cheque for the month and for the first time I had a new amount deducted ... Add to this pension allowance, social insurance and fu&%ing health insurance and there goes a HUGE chunk of my pay every month.

Is there any way I can get out of this???

Comes out of my wage too, and increased by about 2 man (over the year) as well since last year.

Why do people ask if there are any ways to avoid paying social taxes like this? You live here, right? Would you ask that back in your home country?

You can gt around it but if you are working at a company then you are probably just going to have to cough it up. By yourself it will depend on how "good" your accountant is (legally, by the way)

I won't ever pay a cent more in tax than I am forced to. U just need to be creative and find the loopholes.

The whole tax system here for things like Kindergarten, health Insurance, pension etc etc all on how much you earn, so basically the more you earn the more you pay.. So at my sons kindy some people are paying the max amount (about 45,000 a month!) and some are free. Where's the justice in that?

Thats one of those nasty tax things that are taken off my salary before I get to it.

The positive thing about it though is that they take off much less than they would if I were in the UK on the same money.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
You can gt around it .... By yourself it will depend on how "good" your accountant is (legally, by the way)
By "gt around it" do you mean pay less? Surely you have to pay something.

If you work for yourself, any income-based tax depends on how much of your income goes through the books and how much you claim for expenses. Depending on your situation, both sides can be heavily massaged. They've been into my in-laws firm several times to do detailed checks, so that does happen, but on the whole I don't think they're very strict.

Wiggles,

nup, didn't pay a cent. Got all of my tax that I did pay refunded.Big bonus is for me that we run out of home and you can get some huge deductions. I am sure that most who run home business and are self employed don't put everything thru the books.

Here they aren't as strict as back home, but there is always the chance of being audited, thats why I make sure everything is done legit. Wife doesn't think that its much of a threat but... they could be famous last words!

The plot thickens....

Maybe I'm just stupid but all my income goes through the books. All my invoices go to businesses and have a high unit price, so they'll all going through the books at the other end. Not declaring it sounds like asking for trouble. We file the blue form. We got some free consulations with a zeirishi a couple of years back, and he told us how to fill it in. Though the way you have to present your info is more regulated than the "stuff a few receipts in a poly bag" white form, its still not very strict and the deductions are bigger.

I'm not particularly unhappy with my own situation, but am surprised to hear you can be refunded your local taxes, even if you run a 100% cash-in-hand business and declare very little. If you don't mind, what kind of net income do have to have on your tax return, i.e., how poor to you have to appear, for that to happen?

Wiggs,

I wasn't refunded my local taxes, i haven't paid them for 3 years now. I was refunded the tax that was with held from my other little jobs that I do around the place because we made a small loss on paper. Won't go into my personal info on the web but If you make a loss it doesn't matter what you make whether its 3million or 10 million.

we did that blue form coaching thru an accountant provided by the town office. What kind of biz are you doing? Sounds like you are supplying something?

Bad migs, Indeed it's robbery! try to pay as little as you can!

Isn't this the same as the "ward tax"?

If so, many rich entertainers reportedly avoid this by not having a registered address on January 1 of any year...they move or otherwise formally change addresses.

The tax is assessed by the place where you are registered, and using the amount you earned the previous year. If you move somewhere on, say, January 5th of year X, you don't pay any ward tax in year X. If you were at that address on January 1 of year X+1, then you'd pay ward tax in year X+1 based on a percentage of your year X income.

But if you move out of that ward before January 1 of year X+1, they don't assess you there and you pay nothing.

Tax avoidance, not tax evasion!

A-ha! A loss on paper! Living the tax-return dream, to to speak. Even arbeiters pay local taxes, so I thought there must be a reason.

Lots of local businesses seem to make a loss without trying, so maybe I should strike a deal with them. To make a loss on my own, I'd need a string of mistresses and a new accountant. I wouldn't want the missus doing my books any more!