If anyone is interested in Whales and marine life. There is a Whale Symposium in Tokyo this weekend (Sat 18th)

There are some top speakers in town for it from all over the world including some of the people I worked with in Ogasawara. Should be really interesting and the speaches are in both English and Japanese (due to the guests being Westerners in the main). If anyone is interested I will be there, and will be grabbing a few beers with the speakers and others after. Drop me a mail if keen.

Here is a link for info, whale symposium

Curt-Symposium was really interesting and good for me as chance to meet up wth loads of the guys from Ogasawara that came over. Pretty enlightening presentation by woman from the Alaska Univ. research centre on the amount we still don`t know about these creatures. Also free beer and food after, so all in all thumbs up!!

thumbsup.gif

Just saw this in the Mainichi Shinbun, glad to see the local (Hakodate) burger chain is joining the science community in studying whales!! I am so disapointed \:\(

Quote:
Hokkaido chain to sell whale burgers

HAKODATE, Hokkaido -- Lucky Pierrot, a hamburger restaurant chain active mostly in Hokkaido, will begin selling whale burgers on Thursday.

Whale and lamb burgers were the two most popular choices of fillings in a contest held by the Silk Road Group, which owns Lucky Pierrot.

"We want to improve the taste of both burgers," a spokesman for Silk Road Group said.

Silk Road Group conducted a contest to find a popular burger filling.

It was originally only going to sell a burger based on the most popular choice, which was the lamb that will be used in its Genghis Khan Burger - an idea proposed by Koichi Sera, 40, an assistant professor at Hokkai Gakuen University.

However, it also added whale meat, for its Kujira Burger, which was the second most popular choice. The idea for the whale burger was put forward by Toshihiro Okawa, 37, an employee of a whale meat sales company in Tokyo.

20050622p2a00m0dm011000c.jpg

Lucky Pierrot's whale burgers will go on sale just two days after the International Whale Commission upheld a moratorium on commercial whaling. Japan had been seeking to rescind the ban that has been in place since 1986. (Mainichi)

Though for a burger chain they do some decent nosh!! thumbsup.gif

> I thought it was supposed to be some kind of special gourmet thing anyway when they ate it - not a burger!!

That might be because international media always repeats the same shit using nearly the same expression every time. If they ever checked their facts, they'd be able to find it cheaply available in lots of places.

Presumably that would be a "scientific whale meat sales company in Tokyo"

Another reason why the Japanese can eat one of the worlds most endagered animals is that they have this CRAZY system of reporting entanglement in nets which is a big killer of the whale population and we know little about. In Japan if you report it to the relevant "scientific" centers who study the numbers entangled then the fisherman may keep the whale for its own purposes!!!! eek.gif mad.gif Of coarse no deliberate entanglement would ever occur in this ever so honest society! \:o wakaranai.gif

Why not stick White Rhino rings and Giant Panda dippers on the menu too?! It absolutely kills me why such a magnificant creature which is on the verge of extinction in a couple of decades if we carry on as we are can be put on a f****ing happy meal list!!!!!!!!! Cetaceans play a HUGELY important role in the life of the ocean, serving as flagships for the health and well-being of the whole marine ecosystem.

It tastes different from other meat I`ve tasted. If you didn`t know what it was you could probably guess from the texture and taste. I quite liked it to be honest, though vaguely rubbery. I`m sure it can be made into a real delicacy. Then again I`m sure the same is true about the whale scientists.

Here`s another article about it http://www.guardian.co.uk/conservation/story/0,13369,1512053,00.html

I mailed Pierrot politely asking them to stick with mutton burgers since sheep are not endangered.

When the IWC had a meeting in Japan a few years back, some obasan from one of those 'non-gourmet' whale shops showed up with some tasty whale dishes to let the foreign whale lovers taste. I was disgusted to see that many of them partook with every sign of enjoyment. Curious as I am to know what whale may taste like, there are some overriding matters of principle involved...

I see the local whale burger made into headline news in Australia.

From the ABC news website.

Quote:
Burger chain adds whale to menu

A Japanese fast food chain says it will sell 200 whale burgers a day to meet strong demand from its customers amid global criticism over the country's bid to expand whaling.

Burger chain Lucky Pierrot, which runs 10 shops on the northern island of Hokkaido, says the burger using minke whales caught under Japan's controversial "research" whaling program is selling like hotcakes.

"We fry minke whale meat and the burger really tastes like beef," manager Miku Oh said.

"We have decided to add a whale burger to our menu due to strong demand from our customers and feel very thankful to the whales for allowing us to make the burgers."

Twenty whale burgers, each priced at 380 yen ($4.50), will be sold from Thursday at each of the chain's 10 outlets.

The launch of the whale burger came as the International Whaling Commission rejected a bid by Japan today to resume commercial catches of minke whales in the Pacific Ocean.

Japan, which calls anti-whaling campaigners disrespectful of its culture, kills whales as research under a clause in a 1986 moratorium.

Japan is campaigning for a full-scale return to commercial catches, saying whale stocks have recovered sufficiently during the 19-year ban.

It also plans to double its hunt of minke whales and to resume killing endangered fin whales and vulnerable humpbacks, despite fierce opposition including from Australia.

Ms Oh says the restaurant is aware of global criticism over Japan's efforts to expand research whale hunting but argues that eating whale meat is part of the country's traditional food and should be treated with respect.

"We value our whale food culture and would like to offer it to our customers," she said.

"We have a long tradition of eating whale meat as a port in Hakodate used to be a major whaling hub."

Earlier this year, most schools in Wakayama, Japan's western whaling heartland, resumed whale lunches which had gone off the menu amid global anti-whaling campaigns.

Hoping children will take a liking to whale, the schools have served the meat in burgers and marinated it in sweet and sour sauce.

Oh shit, where to start?

"and feel very thankful to the whales for allowing us to make the burgers." Right, I've decided I'm going to start my career of eating Japanese people with the Japanese people who adopt the absurd fiction that whales accept being eaten. I will be grateful that they let me eat them.

"Japan is campaigning for a full-scale return to commercial catches, saying whale stocks have recovered sufficiently during the 19-year ban." And will stop again when stocks have depleted sufficiently to make it impossible to continue.

"but argues that eating whale meat is part of the country's traditional food and should be treated with respect." by being fried so it tastes like something else and being served in a thoroughly non-traditional style.

Ms Oh, will you come into the kitchen for a moment please?

There are plenty of contradictions in there!!

My personal fav

"We fry minke whale meat and the burger really tastes like beef," manager Miku Oh said.

Which brings up your point of frying it so it tastes like something else.

At least they put their customers first over the environment, sorry money first!! Better eat em up quick before the environment turns against us (kinda late though).