I've got a BA airmiles thing going on but this year they told me when I booked that I was not eligible for miles (coz it was a discount booking). confused.gif This is the first time they said that.

This is all after last summer when they said that instead of getting "miles", I was only getting "quarter miles". confused.gif

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but if that is the case it seems that - for normal folk who buy tickets themselves and try to get a decent deal - it's bloody useless....! wakaranai.gif

Tell me about it! I bought tickets a couple months back, regular, off the internet from NWA. I have nearly 160,000 miles banked and wanted to upgrade to first class using my frequent flyer miles. They told me my tickets were a special, unadvertised price so an upgrade would be impossible. I have so many miles logged I supposedly could go anywhere in the world but how to use my frequent flyer miles is a mystery!

I have had the same. BA are really stingy with it and seem to be tightening the rules at an alarming rate. I don't have as many as you Kintaro, but I do have quite a lot but it seems that you have to buy an expensive ticket to be able to use them which seems like a waste of time.

mad.gif

I'm going to stop using them if that really is the case.

The same. I used to get full miles on the tickets I bought for BA. I still buy the tickets from the same place and for almost the same amount each year but last summer I only got a fraction of the actual miles put on my card. It might be a quarter can't remember. I called them up and they said it was a new rule that came into effect last spring.

yeah, these miles programs are a true hustle. however, i did arrange a free flight to hawaii this past February using my NWA miles!!

I think the better way to go these days is work one of those credit cards that giove points toward purchases at a variety of retailers, some also include airlines.

The whole air mile thing is very unclear I find, they do not make it easy.

having said that, I got a free flight to Hong Kong from things I'd saved up before some airlines got more stingy.

Qantas (or Kuntas as the japanese say..) has just put up their miles required to claim a flight. I was lucky to get in just before to claim our return tickets back to OZ at Xmas. Although we got free tix we still had to fork out a heap for taxes (100,000 tix) = 2man in taxes now! 20%! thats a rip..

I recall having a discussion with a friend of mine who worked for an environmental agency here. After he'd finished elaborating on all the conferences he'd been to every other weekend around the globe I pointed out the irony of environmentalists jetting around the world in business class to save it from the... er... the excesses of mankind...

He thanked me for my concern and said it was good to know that average people cared, before moving swiftly on to another topic of conversation.

Ever heard of video conferencing?

There shouldn't be frequent flyer miles, some sort of penalty would be more appropriate!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Taxes pay for sending delegations to Kyoto and places to figure out what to do about emissions from flying. One day, all the costs will come right back home.
lol.gif

If it is a scam, did it always used to be or is this something that it is turning/has turned into? It only seems to be recently that I have heard such bad things about these things.