Was in the Japan Times that mixed Onsen are making a comeback in the poularity stakes, especially amongst young women. Users reported that mixed onsen is a more enjoyable bathing experiance and more social, and water richer in minerals due to not being so watered down as only one bath as opposed to seperate ones.

Mixed Onsen eticate includes, not looking at bathers when entering the bath, leaving a gap of three people between you and neighbour and making conversation.

How about people here, would you go to mixed onsen?? question.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

混浴 (konyoku) = mixed onsen

I love em! Its nice when you can go in there with your friends, both men and women, drink a beer, and talk while relaxing in a nice bath. Having women in the bath totally changes the atmosphere making it nicer in a different way.

When I worked in Niseko my coworkers and I went all the time together. Girls would wear a towel into the bath but take it off once in. Same with the guys - but the girls wernt embarrassed at all. Guess theyre just normal J-peeps.

Dont see what the big deal is with being naked wakaranai.gif

I'm interested about the Perry thing. How did it come about? Surely he didn't have that much pull culturally that he could say 'you know, i'm not digging this seperate bathing thing. How about we all get in together?'. Or did he just start bathing with some girls and it caught on like a bad fashion trend?

Love the mixed onsens generally, they have added greatly to mountain trips by allowing what would normally be a relaxing thirty minutes alone (or being harassed as stated above), turn into a few hours and a few beers with my partner, family or friends.

Sometimes guys just can't seem to get with the program though, and the experience is occasionally ruined by immature [censored] who just can't seem to get over the idea that they're surrounded by naked women (fancy that).

Which reminds me of my first konyoku experience. had been to the onsen at the grand hotel near Niseko a few times, no idea it was a konyoku. My friend was walking ahead of me, swinging free, stepping over the divide, only to be brought up short as he realized his bits were dangling inches from tha face of a nice young Japanese lady. The shock only prolonged the incident as he momentarily froze... the girl seemed to find it rather amusing though, as did I.

I heard a story froma friend about a time she went with some canadian and japanese friends to one in the Hokkaido countryside. They had been drinking, and the japanese girls were curious if foriegn guys were really endowed as the mythical legends claimed. So the one guy and the girls left the onsen modestly covered to an area away from the rest of the bathers. Apparently, he must have been pretty endowed, 'cause to everyone's amusement the japanese girls came running back to the onsen screaming.

I was at a konyoku in Hiroshima with about 6 friends and it was the first time for 2 of the foreign girls. They were quite embarrassed at first and kept the towels on. Im guessing because they were nervous they were drinking their beers really quickly; after a beer or two, in bout 30 mins, they were in there comparing breasts, their bums, and then even their, ummm... eek.gif \:o eek.gif lol.gif

• 4 years later...

Being in Germany, the sauna is mixed, there are lakes which is designated FKK (basically, nudist) hence Germans will find Japanese Onsen concept no problem ...

Missus couldn't handle hot baths when I first met her. Now she is up to hot Japanese baths. We love Onsen and Ryokan

Well I have been to mixed onsens lots of times with my wife, and we have no problem at all. She is Japanese but doesn't mind to go to mixed onsen.

In a lot of ways it is more relaxed actually, as you tend to drum up a conversation with others of both sexes.

Beats being in a mens only bath and having some Japanese ojisan asking me are you American, Can I practice my shitty English with you!!!!

My wife does, but removes the towl completly if it is a milky onsen or when no one much around. I normally have my small onsen towl that I carry around with me anyway. But I don't use it in the water only when walking around.

never been in a designated mixed onsen, but have been to onsen where dads have brought in their young daughters. Of course they are really young and aren't at all phased by it but it's kinda creepy for me. I would be ok if it were adults, I like being naked! smile

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
never been in a designated mixed onsen, but have been to onsen where dads have brought in their young daughters. Of course they are really young and aren't at all phased by it but it's kinda creepy for me. I would be ok if it were adults, I like being naked! smile

TB. Careful. This is a manifestation of reverse subconcious viewpoints. You are borderline perve. lol