so does anyone really hate their job?

I like my job, come up with whatever I want to do myself and really I am my own boss. Pretty challenging and competetive but lots of opportunity to travel. Pay could be a bit better though.

Woywoy, I'm a crash safety engineer... or at least, that's the job that I've got.

I basically get to see a bunch of crash tests and then make simulations of 'em on a computer.

'twas an interesting day earlier this week... the morning after my birthday (still quite hungover), I was there being taught in english/japanese (not good with a sore head) how to recreate a crash scenario from the tyre tracks... I was suggested to kneel and put my head next to the ground to get a better view of the tracks... I basically fell over and had to mutter something about the floor being slippery...

happyglass.gif

Sven, you have one of the most unique jobs of anyone I know in Japan.

Can you use the same skills in a CSI-like environment (eg recreate traffic accidents at crime scenes)?

Nikkei Mechanics magazine used to get handed round at my old workplace and they have an accident investigation feature in every issue.

I'm not an engineer, let alone a mechanical engineer, but that feature was quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I'm thinking about how I can best become a forester.
What? A japanese SUV made by Subaru?? lol.gif

Seriously though, if you were thinking about living in Oz, there are jobs frequently advertised by the State Governments for both Foresters (commercial harvesting of timber) and Parks Rangers (National Parks system).

Don't know what quals you have, but may consider doing subjects like ecosystem rehab, (water) catchment management, soil & water conservation, remote sensing and GIS, etc.

If you want a list of subjects and a Uni that offers external studies for overseas students, let me know and I'll suggest some pretty good ones. \:\)

SZ

SubZero, thanks. I'm not ideally placed for this career change not having any relavent qualifications whatsoever, and sometimes having a gammy leg when the weather changes. But there's a dire need for forest management in Japan, and plenty of economic potential. I need to pull my finger out a bit.

Funny you should mention that Montoya... that was pretty much the reason for the latest batch of tests. It seems that each year a bus full of police from around the country come for a couple of week's course in crash scene reconstruction. They learn how to get some info that's useful to them like speeds involved and when/where brakes were applied etc, and of course that info is pretty useful for the safety people later.

Rest assured that there's been plenty of abunai jokes these last 2 weeks with so many police wandering around the place \:\)

And I'm quite a fan of your job Montoya... seems to have a balance that's not easy to find in japan.

I really hate my job when I`m expected to do ridiculous things like teach present and past passive tense to students who struggle to grasp the difference between `Good morning' and 'Good afternoon'. mad.gif Why? Why? Why?

Got it. Hate it!

Also, how can they think it`s important enough to pay ALT`s a fortune to come over here and help speaking and listening but not important enough to put speaking or listening elements in their tests??? mad.gif I`ve been here for two years and I still can`t believe how bad my students are at English! \:o

Sorry, just venting!