It's that time of the week, time for the Cheese of the Week. This week..... drum roll please...

Zamorano. I loved to scoff on this one when I was in Spain, haven't had any for a while but it's good stuff.

Zamorano

Zamorano, a well-known and respected Spanish cheese, is usually produced in the shape of drum. The cheese is very similar to Castelanno and Manchego in texture, but is less grainy. Its natural rind is covered in gray mold. The flavor offers a hint of burnt caramel and the buttery taste of sheep's milk. Zamorano is used as a table cheese and it ripens in three to nine months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, it's that time of week again - Cheese Of The Week!!

This week, a nice hard one from Russia....

Gornyaltajski

Description:

Gornyaltajski is made from full-fat sheep's cheese. There exists another variety, a smoked one, which can be kept for a very long time, and just like Parmesan, is eaten when very hard.

Anyone tried that one?

An Egyptian cheese anyone?

Testouri

Description:

Testouri, shaped like orange, is a cheese made from sheep's or goat's milk and is eaten fresh and lightly salted. This cheese is popular in the Near East and was introduced into North Africa by the Ottomans after the 15th century.

That is very expensive. I would avoid that site if I were you. Do some searches on rakuten for some better CheeseDeals. I hate it when places rip you off for your cheese fix. mad.gif

Anyway, this week's Cheese coming up soon!

A really nice Welsh cheese anyone? I really like Caerphilly. "Moist yet supple". Hmmmmmm \:D

Caerphilly

Description:

Traditional, farmhouse, unpasteurized, vegetarian cheese made from cow's milk. It usually has a wheel-shape with ivory-white rind dusted with fine flour. As the cheeses are aged in a moist cellar, the white and gray moulds become thicker and more leathery. This cheese is known as "the crumblies". These cheeses originate from South and West Wales. It was first made in Caerphilly in about 1830. When young, Caerphilly has a fresh taste, the texture is moist yet supple. With maturity the edges become creamy and the flavor becomes more rounded.

Indeed it is a good one is Caerphilly. A bit like Lancashire if I remember correctly (I'm sure I'll get shot down if that is incorrect!)

Sorry for being late! Anyway, time for this weeks Cheese, another really nice one (but they all are aren't they!? The wonders of cheese!

Maasdam

Description:

Modern, creamery, semi-hard cheese made from cow's milk. It is boulder-shaped cheese. The smooth, natural rind is polished and may be waxed. The cheese was created in the early 1990's as an alternative to more expensive Swiss cheese Emmental. Although there are similarities with Emmental, it is higher in moisture and therefore, more supple. It ripens faster than other Dutch cheeses, being ready in four to 12 weeks. The flavor is sweet and buttery, with a fruity background, making it ideal for serving as a snack or breakfast cheese. It can also be grilled.

Hello folks, it's time for the Cheese Of The Week!

Back to Wales this time, and a cheese for you veggies out there. Anyone heard of this one:

Cwmtawe Pecorino

Description:

Round shaped, vegetarian, hard cheese introduced by Giovanni Irranca on his farm. This Pecorino-style cheese is typical for its aromatic, vaguely almond aromas. When young, the cheese is creamy. It is used as a table cheese and for grating. The cheese ripens in three months and the smoked version is also available.

cheeseman. I was at Narita airport the other day and noticed a stand that had a big sign on it. It said "Do you like cheese?" and there was some omiyage snack on there that (it seems) was cheese and chocolate flavor (yes cheese AND chocolate, together - not "or").

You better get down there mate.

It sounds curious but I would of course like to give it a try.

"Do you like cheese?" - what a silly question. of course we all like cheese!

Anyway, for this weeks cheese, a nice rarer one that goes great with white wine:

Crottin du Chavignol

Description:

A small flat disc made of goat's milk from Berry and Perigord in France, Crottins are available young to aged, from creamy mild to dry and chalky with an edible natural rind, they are excellent with dry white wines and rhones. Very tasty little Chevres. 'Crottin' translates to 'little dropping'. Un petit sense of humor on the farm that day. The cheese matures from two weeks to two months and has a fat content of 45 per cent.

There was a good article in the Independent online the other day about disappearing French cheeses. Shocking state of affairs. It appears the French govt. wants their country to have the same sort of dire cheese situation as prevails in Japan.

On my recent travels in Kyushu, I found a large and attractively packaged 'cheese and biscuits' omiyage. Bemused that it was not in a refrigerator, I picked one up - but by its weight, it appeared to be an empty box. I dread to think what was inside it.