I don't want to steal your thunder Cheeseman, but as you mentioned a Spanish cheese I thought I should mention a lovely cheese I tasted back in the summer.

Cabrales

A rough-rinded Spanish blue cheese. A renowned blue cheese from Northern Spain (region of Asturias) Cabrales is made from blended cow's, goat's and sheep's milk (not in winter when only cow's milk is available) . It is matured in naturally-formed caves and has a creamy texture, a complex flavor and a powerful bouquet. Cabrales is salted, wrapped in foil and matures for 6 months in natural limestone caverns. The locals are known to admire this cheese when it's almost totally blue and con gusano (with maggots) [There are different points of view on subject of maggots. We were contacted by some people from Spain and they denied the presence of maggots in Cabrales]. Similar cheeses include Picos de Europa and Valdeon.

It was delicious, though I didn't try it "con gusano" \:o

There is a cheese museum in Cabrales where you can learn how it's made. It would be next to impossible to find in Japan I think, I can't even get hold of any in the UK.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Not at all! Cheese is a food for friends and fun for all.

Anyway, this week lets check out good old Red Leicester cheese.

Leicester

Leicester cheese, usually called Red Leicester, is an English cheese, made in a similar manner to cheddar cheese, but is crumblier; it is coloured orange by adding annatto extract during manufacture. The fairly mild flavour goes well with most food and wine or beer, and is good for Welsh rarebit.

Red Leicester is a cow's milk cheese, originally from Leicestershire in England. It has a firm texture, which makes it suitable for grating, and it is a good choice for use in cheese on toast or with a baked potato. Compliments fruit, pasta, and crackers. Often used in tarts or quiches. At its best, it has a slightly nutty taste. Even though it is called Red Leicester, there is no white or purple or yellow Leicester -- all Leicester is red. The rind is reddish-orange with a powdery mould on it. Although Red Leicester can be young or "old, aged anywhere from 4 to 9 months, the young Leicesters at the start of that range will be very mild: they really want at least 6 months to develop a tang. Farmhouse versions are also available. Farmhouse makers will mature it in cloth, the old way, to allow better flavour development. Versions of Red Leicester are also made in America now.

Cooking Tips: Melts well. Bit tricky to slice owing to its crumbly nature.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cheesefans and happy new year. Here is this weeks Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week, this week Italy

Scamorza

Traditional, creamery, stretched, curd cheese made from cow's milk. It is smooth and shiny, traditionally made in a money-bag shape. This cheese resembles Provolne. It is rubbery, with a stringy texture and is drier than mozzarella. Sold young, within two or three days of making, it has a bland, milky taste. The smoked version, Scamorza Affumicate is more popular than the plain and is often used in pasta dishes. It is also served with ham, mushrooms or vegetables. The name of this cheese has somewhat macabre overtones: scamozza is an expression in southern Italy which means "beheaded", it is meant here to describe the cheese's appearance (tied in a rope bag).

Hello. OK thank you thursday. Here you go, time for another Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week.

Parmesan (Parmigiano)

Named after an area in Italy, Parma Parmesan is one of the world's most popular and widely-enjoyed cheeses. Milk used for Parmesan is heated and curdled in copper containers but not before most of the milk's cream has been separated and removed. Curd is cut and then heated to 125 degrees F, all the while stirring the curd to encourage whey runoff. The curd is further cooked at temperatures of up to 131 degrees F, then pressed in cheesecloth-lined moulds. After two days, the cheeses are removed and salted in brine for a month, then allowed to mature for up to two years in very humid conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

cheeseman will like Furano: From Furano Now

"On a day like this, it is so great that the Furano town is right down the hill. There is lots to do in town. You can visit the Cheese Factory, do some wine tastings at a few wineries in town, go ten pin bowling, there is a sports gym with pool in town if you want to stay active. Alternatively, there is also the option to head up to the onsens on Tokachidake."

OK Cheesefans, time for this weeks Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week.

Anyone heard of this one. All the way from sunny Wales! It's actually very nice.

Llanglofan Farmhouse

Llanglofan Farmhouse is a traditional, welsh, hand-made cheese with a rich yet dry, almost crumbly texture that melts in the mouth. The maturation lasts from two to six months and the fat content is 45%. This cheese ranks among vegetarian, hard cheeses and is made from cow's milk. Sometimes chive and garlic are added.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. Here's this weeks Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week. Over to France!

Coeur de Neufchatel

This cheese comes from Neufchatel in the "Pays de Bray" which is situated in northern Normandie. It is a member of the AOC family, and is made in several different shapes. Surprisingly, one of its shape is a heart, ideal for Valentine’s Day ! A legend tells that in the 100 Years War, the young maidens of Neufchatel-en-Bray offered this cheese to their gallant English conquerors. To the delight of the priests, they ate the cheese and thought they were in heaven, as the shape reminded them of angels wings.

The taste is marked but delicate. Eaten with crusty bread and a strong red wine, this cheese is a gourmet delight. Its texture and taste is similar to its well known-cousin, Camembert. The dry rind is velvety white, its gold pate is firm but supple.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lateness today, but here is Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week.

How about some Aussie cheese!

Gippsland Blue

This cheese is produced by the Tarago River Cheese Company that was established in 1982. The company produces other blue cheeses, including Camembert and Brie-style cheeses, using Jersey milk to obtain a deeper yellow color and smooth, velvety texture. It was probably the first farmhouse cheese to be made in Australia. It has a round shape with natural, orange crust covered with white and blue-gray moulds. The cheese has a sweet and buttery taste. Gippsland Blue ripens in eight to ten weeks and is used as a table cheese, for grilling and in salads.

Hi folks. Time for this weeks Cheesman's Cheese of the Week.

This time, Russia. I actually have not tried this one but trying to get hold of it. Anyone tried it?

Daralagjazsky

Daralagjazsky is a well known cheese throughout Russia. This cheese is made either from sheep's or cow's milk. The curds are salted and garlic and thyme are added. Maturation takes place in a sheepskin bag. The fat content is 25%.

Good afternoon. It's time for this weeks Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week.

How about some spicy cheese, cheesefans?

Friesian

Spiced cheese from Friesland, a northern province of Holland. It has a hard rind and a firm texture. There are two versions: one with whole cow's milk and the other one with skim milk. This kind of cheese is very similar to Leyden. Also known as Friesian or Frisia. The cheese has a fat content according to the milk from which it is made. Whole-milk version has a fat content of about 40 per cent, while skim-milk version is maximum 20 per cent.

Yeah no worries mate, pm me sometime and we'll arrange it.

You after Ricotta style cheese? I'm not sure where to get that, I think you could get a small amount in Queens Isetan shop inside Fujisawa Station. If it is there I doubt it'll be a lot for your money

Ricotta can easily be bought over here - try looking at Queens Isetan in Yokohama - near the Subway entrance - they have a fairly good selection of cheeses there too, along with some cracking beers too.

i had some awesome cheese last night and woke up knackered thanks to ridiculous dreams about japanish snow...im shattered at work and just had a pint of red bull...was it worth it?

The roulade was 'to die for' so id do it again tomorrow! go cheese!!

• 3 weeks later...