• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi cheesefans.

Well it's time for Cheesemans Cheese of the Week (though it may well end up being Cheesemans Cheese of the Month).

This week off up to Denmark, never been but I would like to.

Maribo

Traditional, creamery, semi-hard cheese made from cow's milk. The shape can be round or block. The natural rind has a pale yellow color. The cheese has its name after the town on the island of Lolland. The cheese resembles Gouda and has a firm, dry interior with numerous irregular holes. It is usually coated in yellow wax and is sometimes flavored with caraway seeds. It ripens in four months and has a fat content of between 30 and 45 per cent. To make Maribo, cheesemakers use pasteurized milk and liquid rennet for curdling. The cut curd is heated at a temperature of 100 degrees F. The whey is drawn off, salting occurs and then the curd is pressed in molds and cured for 3-5 weeks. The strength of the taste varies with the amount of curing time (longer curing time = stronger flavor).

Quote:
I made some Feta cheese and zucchini pie yesterday Cheeseman.
There is still some left, do you want me to send you some?

Sounds good - if I had seen it earlier I might have said yes! ;\)
Thanks for thinking about us.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Cheesefans, it's time for Cheesemans Cheese of the Week.

This week over to Germany and a nice cheese called Tilsit. Most cheeses that come in a "wheel-shape" can be relied on \:\)

Tilsit

Creamery, semi-hard cheese made from cow's milk. It has a wheel-shape, the thin, dry, yellow-beige crust has some moulds. This cheese was discovered by Dutch cheesemakers, living in Tilsit which was then in East Prussia. The cheese is washed and brushed regularly for the first two months so that the crusty rind forms. This protects the smooth, supple interior with its tiny, irregular holes from drying out. The aroma is mildly pungent while the taste is buttery and fruity with a spicy tinge. It is generally made with whole milk. A natural hard cheese, German Tilsit has a stronger flavor than its Scandinavian cousins. It has tiny hole formation and a firm texture, suitable for slicing. Tilsit is an excellent sandwich cheese, good with robust wine or beer. It has a fat content of 20 per cent and water content of 50 per cent.

I have never heard of that one. What a mine of cheesetastic information you are cheeseman. One day you must organise a cheese party and we can all come. Bring your own cheese perhaps (plastics not allowed)?

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds good. Let's cheese.

OK cheesefans, it's time for Cheesemans Cheese of the Week. Over to Spain! Creamy! Grainy! Spicy!

Queso del Montsec

Queso del Montsec is a Spanish cheese from Catalonia. The cheese has a dense, fairly grainy texture that feels very creamy in the mouth. It is soft-white cheese made from goat's milk and ranks among vegetarian cheeses. Queso del Montsec is also known as Cendrat. The affinage takes two to three months. It has a herbaceous, spicy finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Cheesefans. Time for Cheesemans Cheese Of The Week again.

This time, how about a trip over to India?

Paneer

Paneer (Panir) refers to two types of cheese that were originally found in the area that today encompasses Iran, India and Pakistan. One variety of Paneer has little acidity and has a modest amount of salt added. This cheese is used in curried dishes and is very popular, when wrapped in dough and fried and is delightful for snacking. Since it is a high protein food, this cheese is often substituted for meat in many vegetarian entrees of Indian cuisine. It is commonly used in curried dishes. Rich Cow brand Refrigerated Paneer has a six month shelf life is a favorite of Indian and Iranian consumers and is available in both retail and bulk packages. Paneer is quite easy to make at home. Bring 2 litres of fresh whole milk to the boil. Add 2 table spoons of vinegar or lemon juice and stir well. Put aside. After the milk has curdled wrap it in a clean muslin cloth, rinse with fresh water and drain well. Form a ball and place it under a heavy saucepan for approx. 20 minutes. 200 g of your paneer is ready!

I went to an Indian restaurant over summer and my friend had a side dish of some kind of peas with cheese. It was really nice, can't remember what it was called. Perhaps this is it.

Just a little information for The Cheeseman or any other cheesefans out there in case you make it up to Sapporo, there's a little cheese shop a block North of the Tozai subway Nishi 18-chome station called "Frommagier Fermier" or something to that effect. If you are at the Nissan building, head North on the same side of the street and you'll see it on the left. It was Sunday night when I passed by, so it was closed and I didn't get to examine their selection.

It's time for Cheesemans Cheese Of The Week again folks.

This time over to Poland. I have only had this one once, smoked as well. It was quite nice.

Podhalanski

Podhalanski is a traditional, creamery, semi-hard cheese made from cow's and sheep's milk. This cheese has tiny holes throughout the pale yellow interior. It has a natural rind that darkens to burnt orange if smoked.

I was going to comment on Paneer, that is nice with cooked brocolli & grated carrot. Wrapped in dough sounds good.

Dunno if I would be a fan of sheeps milk though, but I am sure it's better than Kraft Singles =)

Are you gonna add small recipes for people to tyr as well?

Aah cheeseman, ur making me hungry!

Monty Python Cheese Shop Sketch.

Originally Posted By: Cheeseman
It's time for Cheesemans Cheese Of The Week again folks.

This time over to Poland. I have only had this one once, smoked as well. It was quite nice.

Podhalanski

Podhalanski is a traditional, creamery, semi-hard cheese made from cow's and sheep's milk. This cheese has tiny holes throughout the pale yellow interior. It has a natural rind that darkens to burnt orange if smoked.

I like cheese, cheeseman but there is no way I'm sparking up a cheese dooby!! ;\)

Hi

Just joined the forum cause there seems to fellow cheese nutters on here.

Wanted to make you jeleaous. Next week I am off to the British cheese festival in Oxford. Get to sample from 800 different british cheese.

I plan to bring back a selection for a cheese and wine party I will hold in Shinagawa Tokyo. Anyone interested can come along just drop me a note and I will send further details.

Hope cheeseman and cheesewoman can come along

best regards

Graham

Cheeseman mentioned quite a few British cheeses on this forum already. eg red leicester.

Nothing beats a proper farmhouse PDO cheddar. The australian and NZ are just plastic in comparison.

I will probably bring back

farmhose cheddar

Olde Yorke (sheep milk cheese)

Stilton

Caerphilly

wensledale

and maybe some

lyburn gold and

black eyed susan.

Well let me know if you want to come along and try them.