Where should we go this week for Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week?

How about Holland!

yummy

Maasdam

Modern, creamery, semi-hard cheese made from cow's milk. It is boulder-shaped cheese. The smooth, natural rind is polished and may be waxed. The cheese was created in the early 1990's as an alternative to more expensive Swiss cheese Emmental. Although there are similarities with Emmental, it is higher in moisture and therefore, more supple. It ripens faster than other Dutch cheeses, being ready in four to 12 weeks. The flavor is sweet and buttery, with a fruity background, making it ideal for serving as a snack or breakfast cheese. It can also be grilled.

Frc_Cheese_Maasdam.jpg

Maasdam-cheese.jpg

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Goosie
Lately I have been very into creamed cheese. I almost ate a tub of philadelphia.

Almost as in you opened it and realised it was shite before eating it?
Originally Posted By: Man_In_Japan
Originally Posted By: Goosie
Lately I have been very into creamed cheese. I almost ate a tub of philadelphia.

Almost as in you opened it and realised it was shite before eating it?

lol
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the summer break but we can now get back to having regular updates to Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week post.

In recognition of pie-eaters fine work over summer in visiting Hawes and the Wensleydale factory, lets look at Wensleydale.

Wensleydale

Traditional, hard cheese made from cow's milk. It has a shape of cylinder with natural rind. Wensleydale can be used as table cheese and is very tasty with apple pie. This cheese is based on the recipe that can be traced back to the Cistercian monks who came over with William the Conqueror in the 11 century. There are two types of the British classic Wensleydale: White, a flat disc that is highly-pressed and has a honey flavor to it and Blue or Yorkshire, which has blue veins, double cream and is a cousin of Stilton - the blue variety comes in large drums. Good Wensleydale has a supple, crumbly, moist texture and resembles a young Caerphilly. The flavor suggests wild honey balanced with a fresh acidity. It matures in two to four months and has a fat content of 45 per cent.[/b]

Wensleydale.JPG

Wallace and Gromit:

In the 1990s, sales had fallen so low that production was at risk of being suspended. However, the popular Wallace and Gromit animated shorts A Grand Day Out and A Close Shave had the main character Wallace, a cheese connoisseur, mention Wensleydale as a particularly favourite cheese. Animator Nick Park chose it solely because it had a good name that would be interesting to animate, unaware of the company's financial difficulties. The company contacted Aardman Animations about a licence for a special brand of "Wallace and Gromit Wensleydale", which proved to be an enormous success. When the 2005 full-length Wallace and Gromit film, Curse of the Were-Rabbit, was released, sales of Wensleydale cheeses jumped by 23%.

img1216h.jpg

img1217dt.jpg

img1221b.jpg

More from pie-eater

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/416590/5.html

Hi Cheesefans, time for another Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week!

How's about this one from France.

Baguette Laonnaise

Traditional, creamery, washed-rind cheese made from cow's milk in industrial city of Laon. It has a shape of loaf or brick with glossy but crusty, orange-brown rind. The cheese was created after WW2. The sticky, ridged, orange-brown rind hides a supple, yet dense interior. As the cheese ages, it develops a very pungent, spicy taste, and a finish that is reminiscent of the farmyard. In the cold fridge the rind may dry out and the cheese will become quite bitter and unpleasant to eat. Affinage takes two months.

baguette-laonnaise-11.jpg

• 1 month later...

Oh dear it has been a long time since my last Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week.

I do apologise.

So here is a new one for all you Cheesefans.

How about some Stinking Bishop from England?

Stinking Bishop is a vegetarian cheese that comes from England, Gloucestershire. This cheese was created by Charles Martell. It is similar to Munster and is washed and rubbed with perry, an alcoholic drink made with a local variety of pear called "Stinking Bishop". It has a meaty flavour and the fat content is 48%. The affinage takes from six to eight weeks.

----

Stinking Bishop is a soft washed-rind cheese produced since 1972 by Charles Martell and Son at Laurel Farm, Dymock, Gloucestershire in the South West of England. It is made from the milk of Gloucester cattle, which in 1972 consisted of only 68 Gloucester breed heifers. The breed has been revived to make production of the cheese possible, though it is often combined and pasteurised with the milk of Friesian cattle from a nearby county. The fat content is 48%.

The colour ranges from white/yellow to beige, with an orange to grey rind. It is moulded into wheels 2 kg (4.4 lb) in weight, 20 cm (8 inch) in diameter, and 4 cm (1.5 inch) deep. Only about 20 tonnes are produced each year The distinctive odour comes from the process with which the cheese is washed during its ripening; it is immersed in perry made from the local Stinking Bishop pear (from which the cheese gets its name) every four weeks while it matures. The process is said to have links with that used by local Cistercian monks who have long been associated with the production of washed rind cheeses.

To increase the moisture content and to encourage bacterial activity, salt is not added until the cheese is removed from its mould. Air bubbles form in the mould, giving the finished cheese an Emmental-like appearance when sliced.

The cheese was brought to international attention by a brief but important role in the Oscar-winning 2005 animated film Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, in which it was used to revive Wallace from the dead. Demand for the cheese subsequently rose by 500%.

800px-Cheese_21_bg_050906.jpg

It most recently was referenced again in Wallace and Gromit media; at the end of Episode 4 of Wallace and Gromit's World of Invention, Wallace samples his favourite cheese -an even more pungent variant of Stinking Bishop- named Stinking Archbishop.

:lol:

That looks fan-bloody-tastic!! & going back to the Wensleydale, the cranberry version is one of my all-time favourites! & before I forget, Philadelphia is much better with Marmite!! That's it, I'm all cheesed out!