Cheese of the week has gotta be my favorite diversion on this site. I was like a kid in a sweetshop on our 2006 trip to Normandy. We tried as many cheeses and local smallgoods as time allowed.

Im curious, have you heard of casu marzu? I read about it on a blog site recently and thought they were BS##$ing me. I cannot imagine anyone willingly putting something so definitively gross near their lips. Let alone paying 3 times as much as normal pecorino.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few online shops that I order from. Contact me if you are interested.

Anyway time for Cheese of the Week. This time a really nice one from France - recommended best in winter.

Bleu Des Causses

A close cousin to Roquefort, the Bleu des Causses is matured for 3 to 6 weeks in the natural caves of the Gorges du Tarn. These caves are exposed to the north and are ventilated by "fleurines", natural chimneys, formed in the cliffs. It is these "fleurines" that allow the cheese to blossom and develop the aroma of the region. The taste is soft and savory, reminiscent of summer pastures. In the winter this taste is more pronounced.

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks it's that time of the week again. Yes, Cheeseman's Cheese Of The Week!

Today we go to Italy and - get this - TWO Cheeses Of The Week. One specially for fellow cheesefan thursday:

Gorgonzola

Gorgonzola is a traditional, creamery and co-operative, blue cheese. The greenish-blue penicillin mould imparts a sharp, spicy flavor and provides an excellent contrast to the rich, creamy cheese. Gorgonzola is made in the northern Italian village, according to which the cheese has its name, either from unpasteurized or pasteurized milk to which the mould is added. At about four weeks the cheeses are pierced with thick needles to encourage the spread of the mould. Gorgonzola ripens in three to six months. The cheese is usually wrapped in foil to keep it moist. Its color ranges from white to straw-yellow with an unmistakable marbled green or bluish-green mould. The taste ranges from mild to sharp, depending on age. Gorgonzola is also excellent in salads and dips.

Castelmagno

This cheese is made from partially skimmed cow's milk, with some goat's or sheep's milk added. The evening milk is left to ripen overnight. Next day, the morning milk is added, which contributes to its strong taste and unusual texture. The cheese usually has a cylinder shape. The reddish-yellow, natural rind is crusty, with some gray moulds and yeast. The cheeses are left to ripen in damp cellars and drying rooms, occasionally being turned and washed to encourage the development of the natural micro-flora that contribute to the pungent, yeasty aroma. Blue moulds, present in the cellars, sometimes penetrate the rind to form fine, blue streaks that impart a more spicy flavor to the cheese. It is used as after-dinner cheese and also used to make gnocchi.

• 3 weeks later...

Trip to Bulgaria this week cheesefans \:\)

Sirene

One of the most popular Bulgarian cheeses made from the mixture of sheep's and cow's milk. This cheese is usually produced as blocks. The texture is slightly grainy and it has a fresh lemony taste. Sirene is used as a table cheese, in salads and for baking. The content of fat is about 40 - 45 per cent.

Try pronouncing this weeks Cheesemans Cheese of the Week, folks. Over to Poland:

Oszczypek

It is a very old ewe's cheese made by shepherds living in the Tatra mountains. It usually comes in an oval form. Oszczypek is made from unpasterized sheep's milk. The curd is pressed into hand-carved, wooden moulds which gives each a unique pattern (usually regional, highlander's pattern). After drainning, cheeses are traditionaly stored in the eaves of the house, where they can gradually absorb the smoke from the fire. This cheese has a very distinctive, slightly salty taste, it's color varies from from pale lemon to brown depending on time of smoking. Oszczypek is still produced by shepherds in Polish and Slovakian mountains in a traditional, non-industrial way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cheesefans, it's time for Cheesemans Cheese Of the Week. And this week, we are off to the US of A. Yes, an American cheese!

Idaho Goatster

Wheel-shaped, hard cheese with natural, waxed rind. This cheese is produced by Charles and Karen Evans, who consider cheesemaking almost an art. The rind is colored with annatto and waxed. The cheese is made from goat's milk which gives the cheese nutty, almond-like quality. Other very famous cheeses of their production include Bleu Age and Cranberry Torta. The former differs from other blue cheeses by the fact that it is a surface-ripened cheese with the blue mould on the outside. The texture is creamy and the cheese has a spicy taste. The other one, as the name suggests, consist of plain chevre mixed with cranberries and lemon zest.

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks it's time for Cheesemans Cheese Of The Week. Time for a visit to Italy I think:

Romano

One of the oldest Italian cheeses. It is made by a special method, known as "rummaging curd" or draining the curd quickly after molding, then piercing the surfaces slightly before salt is applied. In Europe, Roman is known by its original name Pecorino-Romano. The cheese has a fat content of 27 per cent and water content of 32 per cent.

Nice to see Romano, tastes like Parmesan, but without the baby-vomit smell.

When my boys were here over Christmas, they put up with Japanese processed cheese for about 3 weeks, then they mutinied. I supressed the mutiny with whips and chains, but was forced to spend mega Yen on big blocks of real cheddar. Even then, it wasn't much cop. I need a cheese dealer. Real cheese.

The times I have been to Italy I have always really loved the cheese, though I can't remember all the names.

Is cheese making inroads in Japan at all? I was surprised at how much a small piece of "real cheese" was in the supermarket. eek.gif As cheeseman said, cheese is not only delicious but also nutritious and etc etc. \:\)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cheesefans, time for Cheesemans Cheese Of The Week.

Over to Switzerland this week....

Vacherin-Fribourgeois

A 25-lb. Swiss cheese with a soft, smooth consistency. Pasteurized milk is inoculated with bacteria and rennet is added at 100 degrees F. Curd is cut into large pieces and heated to 110 degrees F. The curd is then moulded and salted in brine. The cheese is cured in very damp conditions in order to promote the growth of mould on the surface.

Hello cheesefans.

This week it's time for....

Abertam

Traditional, farmhouse, hard cheese made from sheep's milk. It has a shape of irregular ball with thin, yellow to orange, natural rind. It is used as a table cheese or for melting. Abertam is made in Karlovy Vary, the famous spa town. The natural pastures of this mountainous part of Bohemia provide the sheep with a rich diet that is revealed in the robust flavor of the hard, pressed cheese. The cheese ripens in two months.

Cheeseman what is the point of posting information on cheese that is not really available to us. Even some of the best shops here don't carry half of what you post.

Also all your descriptions of late seem directly copied from places like http://www.ukrops.com/food/cheese_shop.asp

At least in earlier ones you said you liked the taste of some particular one. Even with gouda I am sure you have tried it, its more informative to recount your personal experience with it than copy and paste.

Some of the best fondue I have had in my life had a gouda base.

What is the point? I want to, so there. :p

Here's an extra one just for you, one of my favourites in fact. I hope it cheers you up some.

Double Gloucester

It is a traditional, unpasteurized, semi-hard cheese which has been made in Gloucestershire since the sixteenth century. Records show, however, that Gloucester was known as early as the 8th century. The hard, natural rind has some gray-blue moulds and bears the marks of the cloth in which it is matured. Cheese merchant payed attention to rind's robustness. They used to jump on it with both feet to test it. If the rind didn't crack, the cheese was safe to travel. The full-cream, two milking sessions milk in Double Gloucester gives it characteristic, rich, buttery taste and flaky texture. It is firm and bitable, like hard chocolate. The color is pale tangerine. The cheese has a flavor of cheese and onions. Not as firm as Cheddar, it has a mellow, nutty character with an orange-zest tang.

What is the point?

Well its plagiarism if you don't quote your sources.

Its like those people who give away samples in a shop, they swear by how "oshii" it is. The if you actually ask them have they tasted it. The say they haven't. Other people come along and say oh that tastes good, especially in japan as if you are told it tastes good you have to exclaim "mmm ahhh oshii". despite they are trying to hold down the gaggs.

Except with your "recommendations" you have nothing to base the recommendation on. If you gave a recommendation that was sincere (since I like cheese) I might go out and buy it. Besides all recognizable British cheeses are utter shoite.

When you have copied and pasted from the website are you going to recommend Kraft Cheeze slices or Cheese Strings next?

YellowSnows cheese of the last century and the next:

Kraft Deluxe Process Cheese Slices

J.L. Kraft first brought process cheese to market in 1915. In the 1940s, Kraft scientists recognized the benefit of offering the consumer process cheese in slices, and created the machinery to produce it. Using a "chill roll" apparatus that enabled hot cheese to quickly cool as it revolved over a cold drum, a sheet of cheese could be uniformly sliced into ribbons and then stacks of three-inch square cheese slices. Within one year of its national introduction in 1950, Kraft Deluxe process cheese slices became the most successful product introduction in the company’s then nearly 50-year history

No need to be scared of a double gloucester, thursday. \:\) It is quite harmless. Delicious, nutritious and fun for all the family too!

Lancashire is nice. I believe you can get good pies there too ;\)