Making cheese

Someone asked about it on this thread. The cheese I make is actually "paneer" which is Indian...but I think it's like cottage cheese.

Bring about 4 pints of milk to the boil, switch off the heat then pour in lemon juice 1 or 2 lemons (or about a cup of vinegar). Leave it for a minute or 2 to separate then pour it through a sieve. You can line your sieve with cheesecloth (or gauze that you use for bandages) but I haven't done this yet. I always think I've messed it up at this point as there is so much liquid...but the cheese remains in the sieve. For the amount of milk there seems to be little cheese. The texture is like cottage cheese but if you want the cheese to be harder leave it to drain for a long time and squeeze the liquid out of the cheesecloth.

I think it's delicious soft with lots of black pepper on it. I also put it in lasagne with mozarella, parmesan and tomato sauce. It was also good fried in a frying pan on both sides topped with sliced chillies and mitsuba leaves. Although I haven't tried it, my Japanese friend (who studied cooking in India) suggested serving it with soy sauce.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't made paneer myself, but I did eat a lot of mutta paneer in my vegetarian days. I don't think you've messed up with the lots of liquid - it's a common observation when making paneer.

A little soy sauce makes a lot of things taste better. Mrs11 always puts it in ratatouille, and without it, it tastes as though something is missing.

You were vegetarian and went back to being a bloody meat-eater, Ocean11? Tell us more will you. Was it utter relief when you went back to the meat, or did you have to force yourself? I'm interested to know.

Your method sounds spot on Stealth. You just get a small ball from a litre of milk. Indians effectively deep fry it in ghee, which is melted butter strained to remove the solids. That way, you can heat it to a much higher temp without it burning.

The spinach (palak or sag) and paneer dish is the classic one.

Cheesemakers used to throw away the whey and it would end up in rivers, but now its used to make expensive protein drinks for bodybuilders.

You can do lots of interesting things with Japanese flavours. I'm a big ponzu fan, but even roast chicken basted with mentsuyu is pretty good. It may sound strange but its basically a twist on marinading karaage or yakitori.

I was vegetarian for 2 years before I came to Japan. When I came here, I quickly observed that nearly everything had either meat or fish in it, and seeing as I didn't speak a word of Japanese, I thought avoiding it would make me more miserable than eating it.

When I ate my first piece of ramen pork, I put it in my mouth very tentatively ... and it was delicious. I didn't look back. It wasn't utter relief, but having to be fussy about major types of food is a bit of a bore. (I don't mind at all avoiding junk food.)

If I had any choice in the matter, I'd eat less meat, and whenever I do have a choice, I avoid meat and fish. I'd like to sample some of these cheeses that Cheeseman recommends, although since I'm also cutting down my food miles, I would tend not to buy them even if they were available.

When I said I think I've messed up it was so that any other cheesemakers would be aware that they haven't. Now I realise that there is loads of liquid but I do always think that I've ruined it...until I get the cheese.

Mr Wiggles, I think the whey smells really good. If I drink it will I soon be rippling with muscles?

I was a strict vegetarian before I came to Japan. Nothing with gelatin in, no leather, etc. However my morals have now loosened as it's almost impossible to eat out here if you're veggie. I eat seafood and fish...I've even started eating chicken but no other meat.

Over to the US this week, cheesefans.... like this one?

Monterey Jack

Description:

The Monterey Jack was developed by a Californian Scot, David Jacks in 1882 (some sources state 1916). Monterey Jack's consistency depends on its maturity; most softer varieties (common in American supermarkets) is aged for one month, while grating Jack is aged for upwards of 6 months. Older Jacks are smeared with oil and pepper to maintain softer rinds. Monterey Jack has a buttery, bland taste and melts easily. Fat content is 25 per cent water content is 45 per cent.

• 2 weeks later...

And it is over to Greece for this weeks cheese, cheesefans:

Anthoriro

Description:

Traditional, unpasteurized, whey cheese made from sheep's and cow's milk. It has various sizes and shapes, particularly balls and truncated cones. The cheese is dry and white and has no rind. It is eaten for breakfast with honey and fruit, in savory dishes with oil and wild herbs. This cheese has been made for centuries. It's name ("flower cheese") comes from the aroma and flavor, carrying the hint of wild herbs. Smooth, hard and moist, the cheese has a fine, crumbly texture. The pure white interior is delicate, and the famed, floral flavor has a smoky tang. The cheese ripens between two and five days and has a fat content of 20 to 30 per cent.

Really tsondaboy, well thank you for correcting me. Do you like it?

Anyway, onto the next cheese.

Ever had a Russian cheese? How about this one? I had it once and really liked it I'd like to try it out once more.

Daralagjazsky

Description:

Daralagjazsky is a well known cheese throughout Russia. This cheese is made either from sheep's or cow's milk. The curds are salted and garlic and thyme are added. Maturation takes place in a sheepskin bag. The fat content is 25%.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry for not posting a Cheese of The Week for a while, but I'm back now and regular service should resume!

So, for this weeks cheese we travel to Finland:

Turunmaa

Traditional, creamery, semi-hard cheese made from cow's milk and it's name is according to the town of Turku on the southern coast of Finland. It is a rindless cheese of drum-shape with pale yellow color. It is a breakfast cheese that was probably introduced in the 16th century. The cheese is smooth and creamy, with a richness and depth of flavor that owes much to the excellent grazing. The texture is firm and open and the flavor is aromatic, with a slightly sharp tang on the finish. Turunmaa is matured for two months or more and has a fat content of 50 per cent. Similar cheese are Korsholm, Danish Cream Havarti. Like Cream Havarti, it is both a table cheese and a breakfast cheese to be served with fruit and bread.

> it is both a table cheese and a breakfast cheese to be served with fruit and bread

Are you not rather concerned about that combination Cheeseman? The fruit might go into a corner and sulk, causing us to declare ourselves allergic to it...

• 3 weeks later...

This weeks Cheese! One for you Australians!

Meredith Blue

One of the most favorite Australian blue cheeses made from sheep's milk. It usually has a round shape and it is produced by Julie Cameron at Meredith Dairy that was founded several years ago. This cheese belongs to the group of Roquefort-style cheeses. Meredith Blue is creamy and mild and the sheep's milk gives the cheese its characteristic sweet taste. Affinage of this cheese takes two months. Another cheese produced by Meredith Dairy is Woodbine.

Quote:
it is both a table cheese and a breakfast cheese to be served with fruit and bread
Not concerned. I believe we should all enjoy our cheeses in whatever way makes us happy. There are no rules!

This might provide a few answers for your soubriquet (warning pdf file!)

http://www.realcaliforniacheese.com/prochef/tasting.pdf

http://www.foodproductdesign.com/archive/1999/1299cc.html

I like a crumbly texture as well myself. Cheeses are just amazing.