I'm very sorrt for the lack of a Cheese of the Week these last few. But here is this weeks, we'll go to Austria this time.

Kugelkase

Description:

Kugelkase is a cheese that comes from Austria and is made from cow's milk. It is a creamery, balls-shaped cheese with pepper, caraway seeds and paprika added so that the curd becomes infused with their aroma. The maturation lasts for 2 to 3 months.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheeseman I had a cheese foudue in Switzerland and they gave me and my friend what seemed like 5kg of cheese! It was just ott. Is that usually the case. If we'd have eaten all that, I'd have put on 8kg!

• 1 month later...

Sorry we have been away for a while - on our Cheese Trip of Europe which was wonderful. Anyway, here's the first Cheese of the Week for autumn and this one is smelly... some reckon the "smelliest" there is!

Vieux Boulogne

Vieux Boulogne, a soft, yet firm French cheese made from cow's milk and matured by washing with beer, tops a list of the smelliest cheeses reveals scientists today. The artisan-made cheese was tested for its smell along with other known pungent cheeses by Cranfield University on behalf of Fine Cheeses from France.

"Love it or loathe it, the sign of a fine cheese is often its characteristic smell as well as its flavour and texture and we wanted to find out if France's reputation for producing smelly cheeses was true," said Sally Clarke from Fine Cheeses from France.

Dr Stephen White, senior research officer Cranfield University led the study by using an electronic nose as well as a human olfactory panel to sniff out those with the strongest scent.

Fifteen cheeses were selected with the help of cheese experts in France and the UK and put through the smelly stakes. Dr Stephen White said: "The results suggest that electronic nose technology could be a useful tool for cheese characterisation, quality control and authenticity testing in the future. The smelliest cheeses were washed rind cheeses. There was no obvious correlation between the age of the selected cheeses and smelliness, nor type of milk origin, although cows' milk cheeses did dominate the smell chart."

Cheeses whose rinds are washed (in a salt water solution, beer or brandy) were rated smelliest. Tops was Vieux Boulogne followed by Pont l'Evêque - both washed rind cheeses, produced from the milk of cows raised on the lush, coastal pastures of Normandy.

Camembert de Normandie, the most widely imitated cheese in the world, was rated third. It has a natural rind and is best known for its creamy texture and mushroomy aroma. Hard cheeses were found to be least smelly of all. Goat's cheese, English Farmhouse Cheddar, Ossau Iraty, Raclette and Parmesan took the bottom five places in the smell league.

Pungent smelling cheeses are becoming more popular in the UK - Epoisses de Bourgogne (probably the most pungent smelling cheese that is widely available here) is now sold in Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose, but in this study it was found to be less pungent than other speciality rind washed cheeses such as Livarot.

Vieux Boulogne - had some of this stuff. It does indeed smell very strong, but if you can get past that I thought it was really delicious.

You are right Ocean11.

Anyway on to this weeks cheese. A nice French one. Anyone tried this?

Broccio Demi-Affine

Description:

The Broccio comes in the form of a ball of curd that has been flattened and presented in a returnable wicker basket known as "les canestres" which varies in sizes. Broccio is usually eaten fresh, within forty eight hours, but if drained and salted, it can be ripened like other cheeses. The ripening of this cheese represent about 15 % of the total production. It is an unusual cheese which is made from lactoserum, the whey that is recuperated after cheesemaking. One needs 11 liters of milk to obtain the lactoserum to produce a kilo of Broccio. The Broccio is a specialty of Pascal Beillevaire, the cheese master. The method of making the cheese is quite simple. The cheese is salted and left to dry on wooden boards, then it is wrapped in leaves and placed in a cool cellar for two weeks. During this period of time the cheeses are turned and rubbed. The maturing process gives the cheese a sharp and strong taste.

Cheese certainly does bring vigor back to men. But not only men, women and children also. And not only does it do that, but it is also delicious and highly nutritious. Thank you for that Cheese Observation.

Anyway, for this weeks cheese, lets go to Mexico. I tried this one only once and it was, well, interesting. Anyone else tried it?

Queso Blanco

Description:

Traditional, creamery, fresh cheese made from cow's milk. The name simply means "white cheese". It resembles a cross between mozzarella and salty cottage cheese. Traditionally, it is produced from skimmed milk or whey, coagulated with lemon juice, although recently some creameries have begun making it with full-cream milk, coagulated with rennet. The curd is scaled and pressed to create an elastic texture which holds its shape when heated. The flavor is milky, creamy and lemon-fresh. It is wonderful to cook with, because unlike American-type cheeses, it will become soft and creamy when heated but will not melt! With this cheese you can make stuffed chicken breasts, stuffed peppers, enchiladas and burritos!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello cheesefans. Here's this weeks Cheese Of The Week, a nice one those friendly German people make.

Bavarian Bergkase

Description:

Traditional, farmhouse and creamery, unpasteurized, hard cheese made from cow's milk. It has a wheel shape with natural rind, similar to, but darker Emmental. Bergkase simply means "mountain cheese" and is smaller version of the popular Allgauer Emmentaler. Firm but supple, and almost chewy, it is a superb melting cheese. More aromatic than Emmental but still fruity, Bergkase is made only in the summer months from the milk of cows grazing the mountain pastures, which explains why it is also known as Alpenkase. The cheese ripens in three to nine months.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay with this weeks cheese, cheesefans.

A favourite of mine from northern England - Lancashire.

>

Lancashire

Description:

The hard, thin, natural rind is pale gold. It bears the marks of the cloth. When young, the traditional cheese is described as "Creamy Lancashire". At this stage, the texture is moist and crumbly. As the cheese matures, the flavor intensifies and the cheese becomes harder, and it's flavor intensifies. Mass-produced Lancashire has a mild, flat flavor, while farmhouse Lancashire has a robust full taste. Mrs. Kirkham and Dew-Lay are the only two Lancashire makers who use a combination of three day's curd to give a unique, slightly mottled texture. As the curds ripen at different times it acquires a multi-dimensional flavor that is sharp and peppery.

OK cheesefans, it's that time of the week again.

This weeks Cheese Of The Week is.....an Italian one. Don't be put off by the "sour, damp smell" description.

Fiore Sardo

Description:

It is a cheese of cylindrical or wheel shape. The rind is natural, golden-yellow to dark brown and has a sour, damp smell. The cheese is hard and grainy and has a wonderfully rich flavor, with caramel sweetness, salty tang and a hint of fruit. Rennet from lamb is used to coagulate milk. When drained, the curds are scalded in hot water to seal the rind. Then, they are stored on a woven reed shelf absorbing the sweet smoke as they dry. Ripening continues in another room or the attic and the cheeses are periodically rubbed with olive oil and sheep fat to keep them moist. This cheese ripens in three to six months.

In Blighty I never heard of eating cheese with syrup. However, with beans, yes. In Italian restaurants in Japan I've had blue cheese served with honey. Is this an Italian thing or a Japanese thing? Is chilled red wine a Japanese thing too? I heard that somewhere (Spain perhaps) people put coke in their red wine!!!! How do you feel about this cheeseman? I'd also like to hear your opinions on some blue cheeses. How do you think stilton compares to gorgonzola and Danish blue?

So far my favourite of your cheese reviews is the crottin. Very natsukashii.