Well how about this for an idea. A different cheese each week, recommended by yours truly. I think it's a good idea to take us through those nasty summer months and in the run up to the new season.

Anyway, here is my first one. Perhaps not well know this one, but definitely worth a try.

Mamirolle (France)

It is a washed-rind cheese of brick shape first made by students of the Ecole Nationale d'Industrie Laitiere. The flavor of this cheese is sweet and it has uncooked, semi-hard elastic pate. Mamirolle is very similar to Limburger and the period of maturation takes at least 15 days. During this time the cheese is washed in brine with annatto. Other producers of this kind of cheese is the Union Agricole Comtoise at Besancon.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Feta is solid, but crumbly with some fissures.

Like a good turd then really.

That 'Feta' made with cows milk in some Scandinavian country far from Greece that you can get in jars with oil here is pretty good as salad dressing. Just don't let the children eat one of the red seeds or they'll cry until bedtime.

Cheeseman, lately I have been looking into making cheese at home due to the lack of variety available in my area (like a decent mozzerella pref buffalo). Do you have any advice or suggestions about where to start, good recipes etc. ;\) ;\)

Perhaps you should eat some cheese, cheesman. After all, they are delicious and nutritious! So I've heard ;\) Get well!

Cheeseman, I am a big cheesefan...

I have in fact tried Mamirolle and I love it with a bit of quince paste...

Have you tried st agur (fav blue cheese) or Brie de Nangis (fav brie?)

Thank you for the feedback and I'm feeling much better now thank you. Cheesewoman really looked after me the sweetheart.

I have tried those cheeses yes save, I've never not liked a kind of brie. Yum.

sakebomb. Making cheese? That sounds excellent, believe it or not we do not have much experience at all in that.

There's a few international cheese shops on the web that we often buy from. It's pretty expensive, but we can't live without our varied cheeses.

\:D

Hi cheesefans

Here is the Cheese Of The Week for this week. A popular cheese back in the UK and also popular with Wallace and Grommit.

Wensleydale

Description:

Traditional, hard cheese made from cow's milk. It has a shape of cylinder with natural rind. Wensleydale can be used as table cheese and is very tasty with apple pie. This cheese is based on the recipe that can be traced back to the Cistercian monks who came over with William the Conqueror in the 11 century. There are two types of the British classic Wensleydale: White, a flat disc that is highly-pressed and has a honey flavor to it and Blue or Yorkshire, which has blue veins, double cream and is a cousin of Stilton - the blue variety comes in large drums. Good Wensleydale has a supple, crumbly, moist texture and resembles a young Caerphilly. The flavor suggests wild honey balanced with a fresh acidity. It matures in two to four months and has a fat content of 45 per cent.

This weeks cheese, another favourite.

We'll go onto some more obscure less well-known cheeses from next week.

Camembert de Normandie

Description:

A very famous French cheese, Camembert dates back to the 18th century and is named for a Norman village in which there is a statue of the creator of this particular variety (Marie Harel). Originally, this cheese was dry and yellow-brown, but after a few modifications it became softer and more earthy. In 1855 one of Marie Harel's daughters presented Napoleon with a piece of that cheese, saying that it came from village called Camembert. He liked it a lot and from that moment Camembert became known by its contemporary name. At the beginning of its ripening, Camembert is crumbly and soft and gets creamier over time (usually 2-3 weeks). A genuine Camembert has a delicate salty taste.

Here you go, 7-11, this might help....

===================

Unlike wine or animals, the character of cheeses can be judged by a glance at their rind. From just a brief encounter you can gauge its texture, taste, strength of flavour and, with a little experience, even the stage of maturity. Using the 'rind' method, you can categorise 90% of all cheeses into one of the following types.

• FRESH CHEESES - [No rind]

Only 1-15 days old when eaten they have no time to develop a rind and only a subtle 'lactic', fermenting fruit flavour with a hint of the green pastures. They can be smooth and creamy, mousse-like or crumbly like Feta. Some are wrapped in chestnut leaves, rolled in ash or covered in herbs.

Examples: Banon, Ricotta, Feta, Cottage cheese, Cream cheese

• NATURAL RIND - [Wrinkled rind, bluish grey mould]

Nearly always goat, they are chalky and moist when young, with a lemony fresh tang. Gradually they develop a delicate bluish grey mould and dry out, producing a wrinkled rind which becomes more pronounced with age and the flavour is more nutty with a more distinct goaty taste.

Examples: Sancerre, Chabichou, Crottin de Chavignol

• SOFT WHITE CHEESE - [White Fuzzy Rind]

The curd retains much of the whey, ensuring the cheese becomes wonderfully soft, almost runny and grows a fuzzy white rind of Penicillin candidum. The best taste of mushrooms sometimes with a hint of sherry! Unpasteurised examples develop a reddish-brown ferment on the rind whereas pasteurised versions have a pure white appearance.

Examples: Camembert, Brie, Chevre Log

• SEMI-SOFT - [brownish orange to thick greyish brown]

There are two styles of semi-soft cheese. The first are those with supple, elastic, sometimes rubbery, texture and sweet, buttery to savoury or even meaty in taste. These may have a barely formed rind like Edam or be encouraged to develop a thick, leathery rind encrusted with greyish mould.

Examples: Edam, Pont L'Eveque, St Nectaire, Tomme de Savoie

The other style, known as washed-rind cheese, are rubbed or 'washed' in strong brine to maintain their internal moisture and attract special bacteria that create the characteristic orange sticky rind, strong, piquant flavour and aroma. The texture ranges from slightly chalky when young to rich, smooth and voluptuous when fully mature.

Examples: Langres, Carre de L'Est, Epoisses

• HARD CHEESES - [Thick, dense rind often waxed or oiled]

The curd is cut finely then heated in large vats before the whey is drained off. The curd is cut again or even 'milled' before being salted, packed in moulds and firmly pressed. Some cheeses are bathed in brine to seal and protect the cheeses from drying out in the curing cellars.

Examples: Cheddar, Parmigiano Reggiano, Gruyere, Manchego

• BLUE CHEESES - [Gritty, rough, dry or sticky variable in colour]

The blue moulds, like Penicillin Roquefort, need oxygen to develop their colour. This is achieved by piercing the young cheese with rods [normally steel]; the blue then grows along the tunnel, cracks and trails between the roughly packed curd.

Examples: Stilton, Roquefort, Gorgonzola, Maytag Blue, Cashel Blue

• FLAVOURED CHEESES - [From barely formed to hard and crusty]

They are a rapidly growing area of the market and offer an alternative to those who like dessert rather than cheese or who are not sure they like cheese. They range from the sublime to the ridiculous and are hard or semi-soft cheeses with added flavourings - nuts, fruit, spices, herbs even salmon or ham!

Examples: Cornish Yarg, Gouda with Cumin, Stilton with Apricots, Devon Garland.