• SnowJapan Admin

There was a (mostly) unexplained massive jump in the number of hits to the Forums earlier today as you may well know. While we were actually expecting an increase in numbers this week, the huge numbers that we were seeing in the Recent Visitors stats this morning seemed very unrealistic.

So for the time being, while we look into this further and try to understand what was happening, we have restricted use of the Forums to registered and logged in members only... this means that any "lurkers" (not logged in people) out there will no longer be able to read these Forums.

We'll decide on whether to open the forums back up to guests once we have sorted out this issue.

Thanks

• SnowJapan Admin

Well sava-san, you're already here (thank you) so it doesn't really matter now does it! \:D We are always trying to work to get the message out about our site, that's our job... it's an ongoing thing (but we're not going to go into those details here, it's not really the place ;\) )

Let us just try to work out what was going on earlier today and make sure our forums are in no danger \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowJapan.Com#1:
So for the time being, while we look into this further and try to understand what was happening, we have restricted use of the Forums to registered and logged in members only... this means that any "lurkers" (not logged in people) out there will no longer be able to read these Forums.'Thanks
Don't know if that is a good idea - the forum is probably the best incentive for people to become a signed-up member. Deleting this access will therefore lower the probability of lurkers becoming members because, ipso facto, most members were one time lurkers!
  • SnowJapan Admin

Agreed, of course we do understand that. But we definitely needed at least temporarily to cut off access while we found out what was happening - as it seemed as though the forums were "under attack". Forgive us for being protective of our little community here ;\)

Access to "guests" will most likely be opened up again tomorrow morning.

\:\)

• SnowJapan Admin

'Keeping us all safe' also very importantly means doing all we can to avoid big headaches and losing lots of time and cost fixing things if something suspicious was allowed to happen on here. 40+ times the normal traffic seemed more than a little abnormal. ;\) (We do have experience of nasty people trying to do their nastiness and it sure is not fun. Cutting off access to the forums for guests for a short time was a small price to pay as a precaution.)

Anyway..... in the end, no damage done and guests are once more welcome!

Snowjapan

I have to login and put my password in just to write this.

In the box under the SnowJapan,com. It tells me I have to Login or register when I do I still tells me the same again.I can add the reply but not Preview the post.I cannot take part in any poles.

Can you help. wakaranai.gif