So, any other people here working in schools (or other places for that matter), what are your kyushoku lunches like?

Until recently ours were really good I used to look forward to them - a good mix of Japanese and Western style things.

But we've got this new guy in who is doing all the planning and they are now overwhelmingly Japanese style.... the kids are not too keen, neither am I, and even the Japanese teachers are complaining. The menu is getting boring and very repetitive. And everything is either very fish and/or very usui.

Sad.

A couple of my students go to a school where they never eat the same lunch in that month, everyday is different. The parents also get a copy of the menu so they can see what their children are eating. All sounds like a good idea. I was talking to one of their fathers and he seemed really pleased and it looked so good he wanted to go there for lunch.

Do they take nutrient into account I wonder, I recently watch the School Dinners series from the BBC and was appalled at what the kids had to eat for lunch, if you are a parent it is definetely worth watching - pretty scary!!

AET maybe you should take your own lunch!

Quote:
Do they take nutrient into account I wonder
Definitely. I think all schools have a monthly menu that the parents get as well. Ours have calorie counts and everything as well as notes and "tips" on the menu.

> Not only would the kids love it and feast on all the deliciousness, but it would be nutritious too!

And they would get much, much fatter than some of them already are! Yay!

My kid likes his school tucker. It seems to be very varied and healthy.

How well I remember the horrors of my own school cafeteria - lining up in the cold with smelly bullies to file into the stinky caff, there to select from a dismal array of fat-streaked carbohydrates served up gracelessly by overweight proletarians. And the interminable foul-tasting burps afterwards. Good god!

Me too. I sometimes had thirds and fourths which was probably why I was such a podgy kid (until I found out what 'virgin' actually meant and why it was considered an insult.)

When I am school we had really good lunch. Our town was famous for modern mixed lunch menu - we had good mix of Japanese traditional style and more western style menus.

What kind of food in US or UK schools?

Quote:
Originally posted by grungy-gonads:
I have fond memories of the healthy and nutritious jam roly-poly pudding with custard. I sometimes had seconds.
Got to have a nice skin on the custard though!!! \:D

My school here is fantastic! We have three different caffeteria/restaurants to choose from; Noodles, rice and bread. You can get anything from Katsu Curry to Ramen!!! We even have a sushi chef every Friday, which was today`s menu for me! thumbsup.gif

My experience with kyushoku here have been largely good. I know a few people who have been subjected to rice/seaweed/fish almost every day (they didn't like seaweed/fish - the main point being lack of variety.)

Our place had a load of variety and quite often had some really cool stuff. They did an excellent curry and gyoza.

Our school lunch is great I really like it. There's only a few times I don't like it, most of the time I really do. Today was chicken curry day.

I remember all our dinner ladies being big whale-like ladies. Very friendly they were, especially Mrs Connors (she was nice). Why so big? Too much jam roly poly perhaps? That must have been a staple part of the menu at schools, we had a good one too.