• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LA's cool. It looks insane from the sky when you fly into it, but on the ground it's very pleasant. 'Leafy' springs to mind. Spontaneous and in-depth conversations with complete strangers on the street is another interesting feature of the city.

Paris is nice, but for the French people who live there. We went there for our 'lune de miel' and were roundly abused by ratty little 'garcon' in the cafes. On arrival, we went to a cafe for dinner and ordered Salade Nicoise and white wine. Both came, but I wanted some bread to go with it. I asked the garcon if I could have some bread, to which he replied 'Mais c'est la France!' which translated means 'Yes, some bread will come at some point, but at our convenience, not yours, probably when you've finished your wine, because we're bloody-minded Frogs here'.

On another occasion we dropped into a cafe for ice cream. My delicious vanilla ice cream came in a little glass dish with a spoon, while Mrs 11's choc-ice arrived, wrapped, on a similar dish but with no spoon. When no spoon came and it started melting out of the wrapper, she decided to unwrap it and eat it before it liquified completely. At which point, garcon comes mincing up waggling a little spoon, regards my wife with horreur, and says 'Cochonne!' (pig fem.) In my experience, only the Greeks can beat the Frogs for that sort of thing.

I remember eating in this huge restaurant in Paris, and the waiters were taking our meals away before wo had even finished them, and rudely telling us to get out before we could drink our wine. \:\(

We weren't being noisy or anything, they were just busy and wanted to speed up the turnover.

Bladdy Frogs! mad.gif

It seems we have lots of Paris bashing going on.

Well, I've only had good experiences there too, and I've been 4 times.

Paris gets a big icon14.gif and kiss.gif from me.

To all those people who have had "bad" experiences there - what about other places? Are you saying that you've never felt badly treated in Japan, or anywhere else? Or do you just hate French people (for some unknown reason)..?

French blokes are generally far sexier than Brits as well. Maybe that's what the problem is?!! ;\)

yeah, i know mudguts... paris can be like that. been there 3 times and i too have had bad experiences there, got done for fair evasion on the subway (=40 euro), had a big black security guard in a dodgy supermarket flash his gun at us just to let us know he was watching us (very scary at the time). but you gotta admit there is something about the place.....

Lama... there definitely is something about paris. Just the feeling of being there. I dont know... its hard to hit the spot with it but I really like the place. My hometown is sydney (despite using "woywoy" as my username!) and I think it goes off. I have had lots of friends visit from OS and lots have said things like "I wish I never had to go home!" on like their first day here. I mean we lots of beaches, a decent sized city and still even today quite a lot of unspoilt bushland. What more can you ask for? ... Probably a few bigarse mountains. But then again you cant have everything, can you!?

You have a point, Rach, but the same goes for french women.

Been to France on numerous occassions, love the french, but have no time for the average Parisian. Never been treated particularly badly in any city other than Paris.

Dont really rate french women either.... and they are very overated as far as good looks go too. spent a bit of time in france earlier this year traveling and never really saw any women that made me look twice and go schwing!! (except for the ones at the crazy horse naturally!!!)

Adelaide for the lifestyle - but the hayfever year round really sux.

Inverness - for being the biggest town/nearly a city, in the the North West of Scotland

Aberdeen - for being where I was born

Not really a city person.

truth be told,

u havent been to sydney hey??

theres nothing wrong with its name!!

its a beautiful city everyones layed back and cruisy, theres unreal beaches and were bout 5 hour drive from the snow in winter and its just awsome we have the habour bridge and the opera house we have awsome sports facitiltys from the olympics its such a pretty city it really is!

If you have surfed or sunbaked at one of our beachs, if youd shoped in the city or at the local mall, if youd climbed the harbor brigde of seen a play at the opera house, if youd caught a ferry accross the harbor....

then youd understand y sydney is the best!

i wouldnt live in anyother country.

(i have been to lots too... im not just sayiing that i have seen lots of countrys!)

let the TRUTH BE TOLD!