My all time faves are all blasts from the past when i was a high school or uni student. Also, lots of Scottish picks.

Echo and the Bunnymen

Joy Division and then New Order

The Blue Nile

The Jesus and Mary Chain

The Cure

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions

Simple Minds

James

The Stone Roses

Actually, I could go on all night singing (well, perhaps not singing) the merits of UK bands. Will leave some room for others to answer.

If The Clash were from the UK then they are the best UK band.

Other than that Radio Birdman is the best UK band. Oh, hang on, they were Australian. I knew that, I just wanted to say "best band" and "Birdman" in the same sentence.

you lot ain't got a clue about british bands!!!!!

check out this lot

the Creation, the small faces, john's children, the action,

the eyes, the quick, davy jones and the lower third, the t bones, zoot money, cyril davies, john mayall and of course the high Numbers ( later The Who)

and I also love progressive house, tribal house, breaks, drum'N'bass etc...

blur, oasis etc just copy some ( Or more ) of some of the bands I mentioned above. Try looking to the past for inspiration but don't copy!!!!!

guitars are dead!

long live the sampler

klubhead

Guitars are dead, but they're just too stupid to lie down...

Why is it that some nerd always wants to proclaim the 'death of the guitar' every few years? Why always the guitar, and not say, the piano, or drums? If you're going to start writing obituries for musical instruments, where are you going to stop? I reckon if you decided to pick on the dulcimer or the Jew's harp, you might find some support, but the guitar? No, I don't think so.

I think Neil Young is a great English band. \:D John Mayall is cool too. But the blues harp is dead. Definitely.

hey oceans!!

you calling me a nerd???

the guitar is THE most overused instrument, especially in japan. you don't have to be a nerd to realise this. With macs, samplers, etc we are making music free from that formulaic rubbish, every roxy music, dire straits etc.. song sounds the same.

klubhead ( the nerd with the sweetest tw200 custom and who goes heliboarding all over the world )

Fucdane, I'm from Glasgow and so have a soft spot for the minds....especially live in Glasgow. How can u compare them to culture club? Or did I misunderstand ur post?

The Smiths were great.

Actually, dont't laugh, but I was listening to a Madness compilation the other night in a bar, and it was pretty good - or is that just nostalgia?

What about The Jam? God, I'm really stuck in a time warp! That's what living abroad does to you!

Scouser, one of the best gigs I ever went to was the Bunnymen at the Glasgow Barrowlands. They played for 3 HOURS solid...it was like they didn't want to leave! That was a great night.

Another memorable concert was when I went to see a fairly unsuccessful Scottish band called Love and Money and Texas were their support band. One of the only times I've ever seen the support band blow the main attraction away completely - that was way back when Texas were really good though, not all their ballady stuff like they do now.

Oh an argument about guitars now is it?

The guitar was declared dead before the Beatles arrived, but I think they managed to sell a few records using their outmoded instruments. Certainly the Beatles are very boring, but guitars still manage to make a very wide range of noises which is probably what makes them popular.

Today I listened to some of Neil Young's guitar solos, Eliades Ochoa, Fourtet, and Cornelius, all of whom use guitars, none of them formulaically. But there's plenty of all kinds of music that sounds somewhat similar. Some of which is made by nob twiddling people.

But I'm prepared to be educated about this. What is a tw200 custom, and what can it do? Can you sit on a beach under the stars and pick out a tune with your tw200 custom?

hey Oceans!!!

check out ' how does it feel to feel ' by the creation to hear how guitar should be played!!!!!

if you had a tw200 fully customised ( like mine ) would would be doing some thing else on th e beach with a hot surf or sno bunny ( these tw's are babe magnets )

klubhead

Yeah, you lost me there klubfoot. I thought we were talking about making music and that you were so proficient at making music with your tw200 custom that you could afford to go heliboarding all over the world.

But no, it appears that you have some sort of moped with fat tyres with which you lure the sort of women who like that sort of thing. Not the most powerful argument for the death of the guitar, that.

I'll have to get my hands on that track you recommend though. I do like a bit of guitar music, even though it's rather obsolete these days.

• 1 month later...