off topic - classic scary movies

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the Exorcist too much, even now it has an impact but not quite as much as it did when I was 15. It scared the shit out of me.

I like the Omen films too, especially the first one.

Friday 13th just a big pile of rubbish.

Anyone know of any other films that give you the same kind of creeps as Omen??

The Shining

I saw that late night at the Cornerhouse in Manchester, then made the horrible mistake of eating a loaf of garlic bread before going to bed. Me and the g/f spent a restless night of brutally murdered little girls, scary butlers making nasty suggestions, and elevators gushing with blood. And TUESDAY - aaaargh! We were too scared even to go to the toilet when we really needed to.

The Shining really freaks me out, whereas the Omen is just mostly silly religious tripe.

Halloween-gotta love Michael Myers with his weird mask and 10 cent haircut. He's always just plodding along with a carving knife-if he gets shot he kind of dances around a bit and then keeps coming. Everytime you think he's had it he suddenly lurches back into life-he's a hard man to put down. I tend to find scary movies funny more than anything else.

The Wicker Man, now there was a creepy film.

Also that one where Anthony Hopkins is a ventriloquist being controlled by his doll was pretty freaky.

I vaguely remember one that scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.....probably wasnt that scary either, but it was for me - Harlequin (???) with Robert Powell (sorry, my memory for this stuff is terrible - the guy who played Jesus Christ with the unnaturally big blue eyes). It seemed to be a big house with black and white floors and one scene where a woman is in the bath and pours bleach on her head instead of shampoo by mistake. Anyone know what I'm talking about here?

Oh, and not a film, but that episode of Hammer House of Horror where the house is cursed and theres blood pouring out of the pipes at the girls birthday party and her rabbit gets killed. (U really had to see it, honest!)

Carrie was pretty disturbing the first time I saw it.

My parents really should have vetted my viewing more.

The Shining - Jack N at his most manic.

There was a series of short films called "Ther Karen Black Trilogy" based on some short stories written by Karen Black (At least I think that was her name) that included one film of this little African doll with big teeth and a spear that came to life.

Sharon, that film (Harlequin) was basically about political manipulation and was filmed in Australia. But yes, the scene where he switched the shampoo around was freaky.

I will probably get laughed off the forum for this, but I saw the Blair Witch Project at a sneak preview 2 weeks before it came out. It was way low budget and there was no hype at all. Some people had heard this or that but on all acounts it was totally real. It was awesome and totally scary. I stayed through to the end of the credits though where it says its fake, so it wasn't long lasting fear, but suspenseful as all hell during the movie. Then as you probably know the movie came out and made a bajillion dollars and got picked apart to the point where everyone going to see it knew it was just a movie. But it was great before that. I never saw the sequel...but man what a stupid idea that was.

enderzero - I rate BWP quite highly.

I saw it fairly early on in its release life, so din't have too many people play spoiler.

"Jess - tell me where you are" still puts shivers in my spine.

But the bloke did look as though he was taking a leak against the wall.

I wasted a happy day at work reading absolutely everything on the BWP website (and watching the video clips, monopolising the company's precious bandwidth) - that was a work of art in itself. Better than the film really...