Favorite Beer - very important topic

If you can't get a decent ale on tap, then a bottle o' dog, the taste of home.

(That's Newcastle Brown Ale to the rest of you)

Or anything in a widget can. Guinness, Guinness Bitter, Boddies etc.

Japanese - Ginka Kogen (haven't tried the new one tho), Yona Yona

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A blast from the past this one.

Our local beer shop has started selling draught bitter Guinness (the ones in the green cans). Superb! Banzai! Just had to say that.

we had some beer from myoko last night - I think the place was called shinetsu beer. anyway, I thought it was awful. very strong taste, dark color. eugh.

• 2 months later...

Beer - beer is so good. I would have to say probably my favorite beer is Sammy Smiths Oatmeal Stout. Damn thats just a meal. But, more than a good beer I would say that a good beer for me is the banter with my mates so we could be driking Sapporo, Asahi, or Ichiban and it would still taste great.

Yogi: come on mate, there are probably more microbrews in the states than there are English teachers in Japan.

Fav Japanese: Ginga Kogen (white) is great, too bad the company went bankrupt and closed...

Yuki's Passion;

Are you sure Ginga Kogen actually closed? It suddenly disappeared from a number of different shops, but I know one place where you can still get it. They said they'll continue to get it, which suggests something other than bankrupcy...

I like the blue too.

Ocean 11,

Yeah, read it myself, errr though it was in Japanese - but the article said that they were no longer going to be in business and supposedly went bankrupt. Dont quote me on this but I think I remember reading it sometime after the new year maybe like Feb or so. One funny thing that I remember was that they said, "Dont worry, theres still plenty of stock." Whatever that means... I think they had too much beer in stock and couldnt or wernt selling enough to break even. Too bad, a really nice beer. Maybe after theyre all gone Ill have to go to another extreme and buy Koshino kanbai for 10,000 yen per bottle, eh?!!

My favorite American beer changes frequently. I am, however, particular to hometown brews Redhook ESB and a micro called Mac & Jack's African Amber (definitely had a little too much of that last night).

I had a beer in Amsterdam called Domelsch which I was especially fond of. Haven't seen it outside of Holland though. Interestingly it seemed in Germany that the two most popular beers were Corona and Fosters.

As for Japanese beer, I haven't had the pleasure of sampling the micros, but of the macros I've had I am fond of Asahi Suupa Duraii...although I could never seem to get drunk when drinking only it.

Lowenbrau is very good. Caffreys tastes lovely but is lethal and causes blackouts. Japanese happoshus are getting better, especially Goku Nama (not great but tastes almost as good as Suntory Malts from a can).

Suntory Malts ice cold draft is very creamy (like Caffreys a bit).