There is no differance with any of them...

they are abreviations of .....

"The United States of America"

aka.

-the States

-US

-USA

-America

-United States

So on and so forth, makes no differance with when you use them or anything!

Caio

The only one you have to be a bit careful with is 'America' as that possibly includes bits that aren't the US. Canadians like to try and sneak in there sometimes by talking about 'North America', a large portion of which of course is Canada. 'The Americas' means all the countries in N. and S. America. But in most cases if you say 'America', everybody will understand that you mean the US.

That really is all there is to it. None of them are slang.

I tend to disagree with Ocean 11 on this one. My impression is that when people, especially the Canadians, refer the "America", they really mean the U.S.A. only (including Alaska) but NOT Canada. Only when "North" America is mentioned is it implied that both Canada and the U.S. are included.

I imagine that even the "easy-going" Canadians will take a little offense when you say they try to "sneak" into being included in the term America. I actually believe the reverse is true. They prefer NOT to be included in any reference to America but will accept (with a little resignation) being included in a reference to North America.

Markie, I think we actually agree. Read my post more carefully and you'll see that we're saying the same thing, at least as your far as your first paragraph goes.

A Canadian friend of mine in Japan talks of his work experience in the Internet field in 'North America' by which he means Canada (mostly, although he worked in the US a bit too). But Japanese employers don't know that, and if they did, they would discount his extensive experience as not being 'American'. So he's sneaking in - he's not being dishonest, just relying on a bit of ignorance. Canadians seem to be content to be North Americans when it suits their purpose.

Yes, Ocean 11, I see your point. Just like us in Hong Kong, we like to distinguish ourselves from the mainlanders and also sometimes identify with them "when it suits our needs".

I just thought it might be a useful hint to those who have friends or acquaintances who are Canadians that it who be wise not to refer to them as "from America".

On the same note, I have some Scottish and Welsh friend and they get pretty annoyed when people here introduce them as being from England.