Has anyone ventured into buying houses or apartments in Japan?

One of my buddies lives near Ebisu Station in Tokyo and pays around Y300,000 ($2,200) or so a month in rent. Place has a living room, 2 bedrooms, kitchen, and a parking spot. They are out there but still expensive with the move in costs.

Thanks Ocean, I'm glad *somebody* is getting some work done tonight!

I'm unable to stop wandering away from the task at hand. Why just a few minutes ago I was poring over a post from last year in which Nat lamented that there are no salt n vinegar chips here in Japan.

Why this is simply not true!!! I see them all the time here in Tokyo.

And as a matter of fact, I cannot stop salivating over the prospect!!

I could cycle over to the Tokyu Food Show and pick up a bag. Do you think that might help me get some work done?

OK then!

Off I go!!

Full report in half an hour or so.

What's the point of living in a high-rent area like I do, it you can't live it up once in awhile.

:p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Griller, we've kind of decided to go for it and buy a house - hubbie won the to buy or not to buy debate.

The loan we want to use is Tokyo Mitsubishi - one of only 2 companies that have a 30 yr fixed interest loan. 2.5% first 10 yrs then 4.2% the rest. Deadline for getting all paperwork etc sorted for the loan is end of year (strange system that, long term loans only on offer at certain times of year).

WIth interest rates so low (u can pick up a 1 yr fixed for 1%) we chose the 30 yr fixed, coz the only way interest rates can go is up. Friends and family back home in UK are salivating at the mouth as they're paying 8-10%, and they were all caught with 15% a while back when interest rates went through the roof.