Biggest problem dating internationally

I know many of you out there have boy/girlfriends and husbands/wives from different countries. I have, err, was, dating the same girl (Japanese) for well over 3 years and something that always caused fights with us would be her immaturity when it came to other women, specifically gaijin women. :rolleyes: Now, I understand this but am curious what problems other people might have.

I had a long distance relationship when I first arrived here but it soon ended. The biggest problem I had was when I was as toey as a Roman sandal- i.e. I couldn`t have a `Ronnie Coote` with me cheese `n kisses!

It's the girls' fault I reckon...

Biggest problem was all the face-slapping crap. Been out in mixed company? Whap!

Chatted on the phone to a female colleague? Whap-whap!!

Is that dramas imitating life, or life imitating dramas? After a while had to make it very clear that it was a loser's game for little girls. mad.gif

Don't have none of that no more...

I guess - I haven't dated any fellas so I don't know if they slap much \:D And they don't usually slap back when they get whacked in the dramas (or at least they didn't when I used to watch them).

I once got slapped by a drunk middle age hag of a teacher after a school party for some innocuous remark such as 'Gosh, that was a good ole hoe-down'. Old harpy left a big scratch on my cheek too.

confused.gif mad.gif

I think that it is the subtle nuances in the japanese language that make things tricky in a cross-cultural relationship. Even if one of you is pretty competent in the other's language, there are just so many subtle nuances that take years and years to learn. Getting over the language barrier is often a tricky one indeed. I have had lots of fun in the process though!

yuki's passion - where i come from there is a neat little saying which responds to your question, and that would be "don't fish off the company's wharf".

reckon that sums it up

belle

Lots of fishing goes on off the Japan 'Exchange' and Teaching wharf, that's for sure. Team teaching isn't the only team activity that goes on, as one of my boarding buddies will attest. But then they replenish the fish every year...

Unless you are planning on changing career or company, don't sleep with any of the following:

a) Workmates

B) The Boss

c) Any of the bosses friends

d) Any of the bosses relatives

e) Anyone who fits more than one of the above categories.

Having said that, when I was a teacher at a business college (read, most students between 20 and 30), I ended up seeing 1 student for a couple of months, then ended up in a relationship with one for 3 years (only the first 6 weeks were while she was at college).