Which of yous in this magnificent community has tattoos? And why?

Apart from a few surgical scars and misc. rip marks from 'incidents', my skin is as pristine as the day I was born.

But maybe you have a pattern of barbed wire round your arm, or a rosebud on your shoulder, or a dragon on your scalp. Do tell...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey you lots. Lay off the tats.

I have a small one on my ankle.

Why?

Long story, but involves lots of alcohol, (now ex-) girlfriend, her friend and a party in Roppongi.

Don't regret it, looks well cool

xxx, nothing worse than regretting what's essentially undo-able eh? If I had gotten decorated, I'd don't think I'd waste a moment regretting it. But hey, why not tell us the whole story. It's not like we're too busy going snowboarding to read it or anything...

I have a tatt of a gecko climbing up and around the top of my arm.

It is a talisman for rock-climbing as geckos are THE most amazing climbing creatures ever.

Got no probs with people wanting to brand themselves like cattle. One wonders at the contradiction offered by the tat, however. Some tatooees(?) seem to delight in presuming that they are free and individual, and those of us who refuse to advertise our allegences are somewhat repressed, square sticklers for rules, bourgeoisie hypocrites, etc, etc. Lets not forget the tribal roots of the tatoo, and the servitudinal group nature it denotes.

Just like the design? Great!

[This message has been edited by miteyak (edited 07 May 2002).]

Yo! akemi, post photos! Let's have a look at it then.

If you do, I'll post a shot of the Nike mark scar on my hand and tell the sorry tale of how I got it (it involves lads breaking beer glasses on their heads - for shame!)

rach, do you really want to see a half naked snow-boarder?

michael2, it cost me AU$100. That is fairly cheap, but as it was only black, and not too detailed it only took about 1hr or so.

I don't know about getting them done, but I do know that getting them undone costs a huge amount of money and pain - literally 'a pound of flesh' if you go for the skin graft rather than laser treatment. I know people who have had one or the other treatment done in Japan.

Akemi, how does "your man" (if you have one right now) like it, if you don't mind me asking?

Just interested to know.....

wave.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The gecko is a talisman.

I am into indoor rock-climbing. It is a wonderful sport. Develops stamina, upper-body strength, elasticity/stretch.

Gecko's have three ways of attaching themselves to a surface:

1) with their fingers like we humans do,

2) with suctions cups that they form with all the little hairs on their hands

3) electrostatic cling, again with all the little hairs on their hands

So I got the tattoo as a talisman so that I have a link with the ability of the gecko - maybe kinda freaky sounding, but thats the story.