• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

got pulled over on the highway by an undercover coper...took me by suprise...

i was doing 150...

pulled the no japanese prank, whipped out the international drivers license, and got away with a "slow down, kiotukete"...the whole thing took less than 2 minutes...

Word!

danz

Did you know that it is law in Japan to inform drivers on expressways of upcoming speed cameras. Next time you're on an expressway look for the smallish blue signs(in Japanese) warning you of cameras. You'll see two in a row then a speed camera. Between blue signs drive as fast as your car lets you and never get a ticket again. Couldn't be easier.

Mudguts, it's no good telling speed-kings like danz that. He's incorrigible. He wouldn't know how to keep his speed down for the short sections with the cameras, even if he was aware of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Got nabbed on the Chuo last night by an unmarked cop car. It was a blue Skyline with a Matsumoto number. I was stopped just north of Komagane heading north. Minutes later we saw another fukumen car (a white Crown/Mk II type saloon) that had nabbed a truck.

They got me for doing 114 through an 80. I've got a Japanese licence so I couldn't pull a fast one. It's three points and a 25,000 yen fine. Had they got me doing over 120 (only seconds earlier, no doubt), it would have been six points, which is all you get.

Hey speed kingz, how do they alert you that they're the fuzz? Do they have some sort of pop-up plate that says "Tomare. Ware-ware ha fazu da!" Otherwise if it was just a blue Skyline flashing their lights and trying to get in front of you, you might start throwing crowbars and testing out your legally required onboard pyrotechnics.

This is all looking rather grim for the next season. It could play havoc with my dream of catching the first lift at Nozawa after a 7 o'clock start from Suwa.

actually...they do have this huge blinking display in the back seat flashing some kanji that I can't read...

the lights are hidden behind the grate in the front, and also inside the car...but its obvious once the lights are on....

then ofcourse, the blue uniforms with white helmets and white shiny shoulder straps are also a clear give-away...

so is this hidden cop car thing relatively new then??

danz

• 2 weeks later...

I got busted over the weekend for doing 60 on a 40 road, they weren't having any of it - had to go down the local police station and pay 15000 yen.

frown.gif

Seems to be more and more unmarked patrols out there these days. Be careful...

Some of the 30 and 40 laws are ludicrous. There's one I know in the middle of nowhere - straight road, great visibility, good wide road, not busy - and they slap a 40km rule on it. Everyone goes around 60 (and the rest)...

Caught for doing 60 in a 40. Ooh severe.

Presumably the person who does the travel guides for SJG must go a lot faster than that. 25 minutes from Toyoshina IC to Hakuba according to this page.

http://www.skijapanguide.com/2002/travel/travel-nagano-hakuba.html

Its around 50km so that must be 120km/h non-stop on ordinary roads. Any tips for getting away with driving like that guys?

• 3 weeks later...