Oh, and if you can, get a mate with a license who doesn't drive to claim they were driving. Three snaps has got to be a suspended, if not revoked license. I'm two points away (one more violation) from suspension with just two parking tickets in two years!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey...

I got an international driving license...

does that change things??

also, I talked to a friend who had a friend who got busted...he told the cops he was going to hire a lawyer to fight the ticket, which prompted them to drop it...menrokusai...

but i'm sticking to my plan...wait it out...i'm only hear 'till march...

danz

Ah, the international license is different indeed. They don't know what to do with 'em. From what I hear, they tend to avoid an administrative solution in favour of tokens of repentance. This usually involves getting your nads out on a table and giving them a tap with a mallet. Moan as convincingly as you can.

Mine's a proper Japanese license, so if my visit to Kofu proves to have been unlawful in some way, it'll probably be the fine. But that'll wipe out my savings towards a Dirtsurfer, making the mallet look almost a more attractive option.

Very politely playing the gaijin card got me off a couple of years back when they stopped me for going 55 in a 40 km area. They saw I was a gaijin and basically stopped me, saw I couldnt speak good Japanese and waved me on.

i've used the gaijin card 3 times for traffic related incidents...and each time worked like a charm...

and yes, I am always acting...and given the level of acting on japanese dramas/movies, I think I should be up for an emmy! (or is it oscar, or grammy...i always mix them up)...

danz

rolleyes.gif

Ha! A gamble then, but one sure to pay off more than often.

Especially if you speak in a strong scally accent - then even non-scousers won't understand you!

Shell suits in the area!

You could always try "doing a Fergie". In between snide remarks about Arsene Wenger, no doubt, Alex Ferguson got away with driving at 50mph down the hard shoulder by saying that he had diahorrea and that he was desparate to get to Old Trafford so he could splatter the pan. He must have given the rozzers some racing tips, I reckon.

David Beckham also got away with doing 60 plus on an ordinary road by saying he was outrunning a press photographer who'd been driving dangerously close to him. A highly plausible story, and the guy's such a goodie goodie that I'd believe him.

Best of all though was Andy Cole. On being caught doing 120mph on a motorway in his Ferrari, he got his lawyer to throw himself on the mercy of the court with a comment like "Yes, m'lud, but my client's car will do 200mph, you know."

Cole was banned for six months. He pleaded financial hardship and tried to get Man U to pay for a chauffeur. The club refused.

He now plays for Blackburn Rovers.

• 1 month later...

The draconian new laws against driving after a bit of social drinking make it almost worth not getting caught at any cost (not including not having a drink). I wonder if we'll be seeing more drunken car chases as a result...

Has the law changed recently? I was under the impression that zero tolerance has been in effect for years. Is it the punishment thats changed? If so, what can one expect?

The fines have gone sky-high and I think they pull your license too. It's something like 300,000 yen for the equivalent of every bottle of beer consumed (just have to drink wine I suppose...) So the more you've drunk, the faster you're advised to drive to get away from the police.

• 2 weeks later...

I think some of the cameras are used to monitor traffic...

and others are for speeding...but i'm not completely sure...

by the way, i still haven't paid!

danz