so on my leasiurly 6hr drive to hakuba

2 weekends ago, I got nailed 3 times in 30min

by those speed cameras before I figured out what they were for...and I just got notice from the gunma people about it...

have any of you powerful gaijin that hang around this board ever try to fight these things?? in the US, you can usually at least get them to reduce the ticket (fine and pts.) and if you are good you can get them to scratch it all together...how about in Nippon?? do I have a shot??

help please...

domo,

danz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get nailed by a "mobis" camera(They're the ones above the road). I got done for doing 89kmh in a 50kmh zone. They had a photo of my licence plate the speed I was going and a close up of my face so there wasn't much I could do about it. If you were doing less than 30kmh over the speed limit you should be okay. If you were doing over 30k over the limit, like me, then expect a 1 month license suspension and a 70,000yen fine

Footnote: I think I'm going to get a radar scanner/scrambler. I just can't bear to drive at the ludicrously slow Japanese limit!

are you $%!* serious...

70000yen...I was certainly doing over 100km

but have no clue what the speed limit was...

also, i don't have a japanese driving license...just an international thing that is basically made from paper...

there has got to be a way to knock that number lower...no way am i paying that much...

danz

There's a lesson in there somewhere. Maybe it's 'drive slower'. Or could it be, 'apply mud to front and rear license plates before setting off, and wear a cap with a long peak'?

[This message has been edited by Ocean11 (edited 19 March 2002).]

danz - if you go to Yellow hat or some car-parts shop, you can buy "SPEED CAMERA CHECKER"

That crazy machine suddenly start to beep if your car is located near Speed Camera on Kousoku douro....

my friends saved a lot of money from it, well, I really a good driver(!!) so I don't need to have it thought.

Anyway, Safe Driving.

[This message has been edited by Nat (edited 19 March 2002).]

There are numerous web sites with information on the ORBIS installations around the country. This helps when driving on highway. I have bought a fuzz buster with GPS, as some of those do not emmit anything (reactive coil type buried in the ground), so the locations are in the memory- this may be was too much.

thanks for all the preventative tips and the slap on the wrist...

but i'm passed that now...i need to find a way to deal with the ticket...no scammers on this board?? i'm dissapointed...

'cmon...speed is in our blood right? riders of the mtn...you gotta drive fast to get to the mtn...hey, maybe thats the excuse i'll feed those gunma people...

danz

danz, which route did you drive?

If you drove the Chuo EXP way, usually the limit is 80km/hour. I guess sometimes you get confused about miles and kilometers?

(80miles =128km)

And if you couldn't any descriptions about limit, it's 100km in EXP ways in Japan.

In other normal roads, probably you can find the limit signs often.

Please drive safe:-)

Danz tough luck.

How about:

You were chasing the car in fornt of your because you could've swarn you saw legs hanging out the trunk and heard muffled screams. As any good samaritan would do you felt it was your duty to not let this car get away and ensure that they were repremanded when you caught up with them.

When you are asked why you didn't report this to the police, tell them that nature called, you had no empty bottles in the car and you had no choice but to pull into the parking area to releive yourself.

Well let's take this opportunity to pool our knowledge. I've been driving in Japan for seven years, around 10,000 K's a year, mostly on freeways (meishin, Hokuriku, chuo-do and Nagano) (lordy, lordy, that must be a bit a' $) at around 120 kph. Never got a ticket (jinxed for this weekend!?!). Japanese friends of mine seem to think yer pretty safe on the major out of town highways at this speed, but dodgy above it. At what speed have our humble law breakers here been busted at? and on what freeways?

I usually go at 120 kph, 140 when overtaking. Never had any trouble so far. There are some cameras at the bottom of the slope between Okaya and Shiojiri that I usually slow down for, but not much. I often get overtaken by cars going much faster (danz??)

Bad luck danz, but I think they got you this time.

I have another idea!

If you drive one of those cars made by that infamous recall company then you could get away with something like:

It is clearly obvious that I have discovered a recall case here! Can you not see from the fact that you picking me up three times in half an hour shows that my acclerator cable does not recoil back and is stuck in the one place! I demand that you investigate!!!

How's this?

Hi Ocean, online same time again hey.

What do I have? I don't - I usually either use the trains or go with a "car-tsuki" friend. Wish I had, but can't afford a car right now....

Like gamera says, the speed limit is 100km/h unless marked otherwise on highways (80km/h for all of you guys squeezing into kei cars) and 60km/h unless marked otherwise on ordinary roads. In winter, speed restrictions may be enforced, so the limit may be considerably lower.

I've seen a lot of wrecks this year around Hakuba. One every two times I go out almost. Most of these have been when the roads were bone dry. Take it easy y'all!

danz

did you get fined on the spot or do you have to take a trip to the police station some time later. wonder how it works over here.

• 1 month later...

Hear any more on this danz?

I got done for driving a couple of years back and just had to go down the local police and pay them about 12000 yen.

nothing's come of it yet...

I don't think I ever got an "official" ticket/summons, just kind of a request to go to the station and deal with it there...

so, I haven't done anything, and they haven't contacted me since...

sounds good to me!

danz

OhmyGoddanz! The interest clock is ticking, and it ticks mighty fast! 30 man, 40 man, 50 man! They've already contacted Immigration! Your license has been rescinded and you're driving unlicensed!

Actually I took a rather swift trip down to Yamanashi this month, taking care to slow down for the speed checking equipment. But did I slow down enough I wonder?