Quote:
oo, 12" singles spawned all that sampled shite. Originally you had a good toon and some more or less mindless lyrics and it was all over in a pleasant few minutes and the next lot came on. Then came 12" inch singles where some sound engineer got the idea that a living could be made out of fiddling with knobs, and thus we're at where we are today. It's not all bad of course, but a good deal of it is.

Sorry, Ocean, still disagree strongly with some of what you say whilst agreeing with other parts. I have not heard the 12 inch of Tainted Love, so my comments arent about that.

There is a BIG difference between an extended mix that builds on the original, and the fiddling with nobs and samples that you talk of - much of that is indeed crap.

Current "mixes" (that are often re-recordings by fashionable DJs, etc etc etc) bear little resemblance to many of the good 12 inch mixes that were the deal back in the late 80s - mid 90s. Many of those were actually done by the band themselves, rather than just been sold out to the nob twiddlers as most are now.

There was a short period of time when some bands took time to improve on a 3 minute version of a song without destroying it. Not adding elements that weren't there, but taking all the existing elements of the song and making the whole experience longer and pretty cool for the fans. There were some awesome 12 inchers. The most obvious is Blue Monday (originally a 12 inch of course, but compare it with the awful 3 minute edit mix).

I'm not saying all 12 inchers were great - certainly not - but there were some awesome mixes going on before they started twiddling with nobs too much.

Whats going on with the Taited Love 12 inch then?
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I used to mix up an extended version of that song.

The best one to do an extended mix of was the 12" of Blue Monday. Go 2/3rd of the way through the A side, then do the middle bit of the B Side then the last 2/3rd of hte A side. I think it went for about 10 minutes if you wanted to smile.gif

You can get a lot 12" originals on AG Satellite.

Bela Lugosi's Dead 12" is a goodie.

The Tainted Love version I'm talking about has this long section where they take a note that starts high and goes down very low - it sounds like a bomb dropping very slowly. For the first few seconds you might think it sounds really cool, until you realize how long its going to take for that note to get to the bottom before anything more interesting like music or singing takes place. I believe that effect was achieved by the twiddling of (k)nobs.

One of my all time favourite dance tracks is Good Thing Going by Sugar Minott, which might give you some idea of where I'm coming from.

Does anyone else here think that JPop - generally - is getting better. Have you seen that "flashback" program where they look at the charts 10-15 years ago. They were just sooooooooooo terrible.

Last night I was listening to some old CDs. A classic from 1990, The Beloved "Blissed Out" - its a remix collection of their first album. Excellent memories in there, good sound, not dated too much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone there listen to Fu Manchu?(from California) Saw them in Sydney a few weeks ago and they rock, think they will get big in the indy music.See them if you get a chance.. ..

I'm into stuff like Monster Magnet, Kyuss,Nebula.. Stoner rock....

I listen to a wierd mix of dancehall reggae, japareggae (listen to Pushim!), old school hip hop, soca & calypso, punk, rock steady, ska, trance and anything that appeals to me at the moment. There are times for jazz, classical, rock, house and everything else (except for country - eeewww) 80's music is great too! I don't know, what can I say, my taste is all over the place.

When I'm travelling I like to listen to Jimmy Cliff, the Specials, Sublime, Buju Banton, the Beatnuts etc. Chill but energetic.

When I'm partying, it's a whole other story - drum'n'base, trance & house.

I'm also starting to enjoy Bad Religion...

------------------

Cheers,

C.Frog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...