Not.

Most of the time.

Some of my Japanese colleagues I get on well with still say gaijin. They don't even comprehend how it could be taken the wrong way, and so are innocent of any crime.

Matter of context usually, but when some word to indicate foreigner has to be used, then not offensive. It's only annoying when the context makes the matter of foreigness irrelevant. E.g., company lobby, lobby person calls upstairs 'Uh, there's a gaijin here in the lobby to see you'. **** you very much, you peasant.

Amongst gaijins usselves, I can't stand those prissies who insist on saying 'non-Japanese' as if the world were divided into Japanese and those who aren't.

I'd like to say as a Japanese living in the most conservative territory Ibaraki-ken. We'll say "gaijin" as your's "foreigner". It's only just a noun. There isn't deeply meaning in the "gaijin" frase. Ever greater number young people who can't spell "kanji" of "gaijin" correctly are increasing lately.

Ki-ni shi-nai, ki-ni shinai.

Doesn't bother me most of the time. However, I'm white and my *general* impression is that Japanese people don't look down on white people. I don't think you say that about some other races and nationalities. I think they have a much harder time of it in Japan.

Thomas, the kansai region is renowned for it's rough, direct, less refined way of communication, where using polite (Kanto) Japanese in all but the most formal situations can lead to mild amusement, (in a coarse, direct.....)

NoFakie, don't let's forget the weight factor here. If you're fat white knacker there's more of a tendency to withold consent for hobnobbing with one's daughter.

Anyway, I'd rather be a gaijin than a naijin.

My favourite encounter with the word gaijin was when I was living in Kansai. After leaving my bike illegally parked near the station, I had it confiscated in one of the swoops that Amagasaki does every three months or so. The following day, I went off to the compound and after 15 minutes of searching managed to find my machine. It took some doing as they had hundreds of black mama charis (shopping bikes). After paying 2,000 yen or whatever the fine was, I was about to head off home when the old guy called me back to give a receipt. He kind of looked at me, looked a bit perturbed, scribbled something down, and then said "aa, kore de ee yan" (I suppose this'll do) to himself. The name on the receipt he gave me was "gaijin" in kanji.

My other favourite anecdote is when I was taking a taxi once, the driver asked me where I was from. When I told him "the U.K.", his inspired response was "Oh, that's the boot-shaped country, isn't it!"

miteyak - Im not too sure about one of your points. I have some very well educated Japanese friends who will easily use the work gaijin....and often do when talking of foreigners.

Generally, well rounded, educated professionals who talk in polite Japanese should use gaikokujin. Youth or familiarity may well lead to a more casual approach, but then that should be marked by more casual Japanese all round.

I really don't mind.

If I did, I would not still be here in Japan, because it's unavoidable.

I find that for the most part it is not meant in a bad way - and many Japanese don't even consider that it could be.

I'm more like nervous rather than careful to say "gaijin" because I have read that the English word " foreigner" contains some descriminative meanings. And Ocean11 mentioned "non-japanese" doesn't sound good.

Hum.. what I should say then and does "foreigner" really contain that descriminative meanings?

There's nothing harmfully discriminatory about the word 'foreigner' itself. But if you make a point of raising somebody's foreigness where it's not necessary, or relevant, then it becomes discriminatory. Same with any of the alternatives floated here.

"Hey Chief, there's a foreigner/gaijin/non-Japanese/wigger got a problem here!"

And there's no need for people to get panicky about 'saying the wrong thing' - just a bit of common sense is all that's required.

I have no problems with the word.

People say that some Japanese use it in a derogatory nuance - well, they can do that with ANY word they use, not only "gaijin". For the most part, I think most Japanese do not even consider that it can be taken offense at by some gaijin.