Anyone here play pachinko, or even understand its appeal. I tried it once a couple of years back - quickly lost some cash, got a headache, and smelt badly of smoke after 10 minutes.

It would be interesting to know if we have any packinko-heads here?

Pachinko. Surely everyones tried it once or twice. But yes, definitely a genetic thing though! Some of my Japanese buddies play for hours, and often win on it too.

no joke...

I have some friends who actually make a living off of pachinko...apparently there is some technique to it...involving lots of time...

one chick i know makes more money/month from pachinko than i do on a salary...

me, I hate it...ugliest nosiest part of japan if you ask me...

danz

Sitting motionless in a noisy, smoky room for hours on end is not exactly good for you, but I would imagine that it gets quite hypnotic watching all those little balls tumbling inches from your face. Even without the added incentive of gambling, i.e., something for nothing, there's definitely a zen about it. Maybe you "repetitive beats" fans can understand.

The Kansai Time Out had an interview with a pachinko pro in their "day in the life" series a couple of years ago. The article is not on their website but you can probably get a back number for 300 yen if you're interested. The woman in question is one of the biggest salsa (the music) fans in Kansai.

rolleyes.gif

Pachinko. I have a Japanese friend who plays packinko on his PS2. So he enjoys it even though theres no change of money (winning or losing) involved.

• 2 weeks later...

hide...

is that really your idea of relaxing??

i'm curious, what is relaxing about it??

certainly not the neon lights, or the bings,bells,whistles, and general noise to boot...

is it the comfort of stale tobacco smoke??

i'm at a loss...please enlighten me..

danz

I feel relax because of like a daze or something, its kinda difficult to explain especially in english for me. The packinko take away my feeling of real world and trance like looking.

Sorry the bad english.

Pachinko sounds a bit like fishing...

When you go fishing you might catch a fish

When you do Pachinko you might win some dough

Both are a reason to do nothing

I've been speaking with my japanese buddies about packinko, and they seem to be saying that there are tons more women checking it out recently than before.

So do you end up winning hide?

I was just watching the golf last night and on comes this pachinko advert with a deadpan Nicolas Cage at the piano. It's well bizarre. There's another wierd one with a guy dancing around on a desert island. Makes you wonder....

• 2 weeks later...

There's a few pachinko places here in Hong Kong - mainly Japanese guys who are missing theur favorite game that use them it seems.