As a lover of pistachio ice-cream, picture my rage and disappointment when I first had similarly coloured 'matcha ice'... But I quite like it now, although I'd rather have pistachio.

Even anko and icecream seem to go rather well together on some days.

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
Haagen Daaz for me.
Chocolate.
Bliss.
Especially the Belgian one in the H-D shops. The one in the cups in the conbini isn't the same. In the conbini, I go for the caramel/capuccino crispy sandwiches. Super crispy wafers and a great coating. "Dulce de leche" is a poncy name for caramel ripple, but it also hits the spot.

31's "Rocky Road" -choco-marshmallow-walnuts- also very good. Great texture!

Mint choc chip icecream is also a long time fave. As for Japanese variations, the mochi ice-creams, Yukimi Daifuku, are worth a try at least. The monaka wafer bars are pretty good too, especially the ones with lots of crispy chocolate in them.

First time I had one them, I simply had to have another one straight away.

And I love it when they carefully fill the cone all the way to the bottom and then balance icecream on top so it's nearly falling off. And then you get the sugar shakes afterwards. Ummm...

My favorite ice cream is Haagen Daaz, too... but for 100 yen those Super cups are goooood!!

Ive had that grape ice cream up in Kyoto and Kawaguchi Ko near Mt. Fuji last winter. That was sooo delicious. And, I wanna say maybe in Matsuyama also??? Does anybody remember that Ji Beru place right next to Dogo onsen - I seem to remember stumbling outta there once and found a grape soft cream there.

I love goma ice cream! And matcha is great too - both took getting used to but the longer I'm here (now 7.5 yrs) the less I like sweet things.

As to 31 or Haagen Daz - theyre the reason I gained so much weight in Japan. SHAME ON THEM!!! But I love strawberry cheesecake (31) and macadamia nut brittle (old Haagen Daz flavour)

Cal

The one in the cups is "Chocolate". The one in the stores is "Belgian Chocolate". The latter is lighter in colour and has grated chocolate in it. Or at least that's the way it used to be.

How about a show of hands for Japanese chewing gum? Compared to the five flavours that Wrigleys do, there's a great choice here. Lots of wierd and wonderful ones, even the "trucker specials" that are loaded with caffeine. No cinnamon, but other than that a big thumbs up from me.