• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order of purchase:

Waverace (8/10)

Super Smash Bros DX (7/10)

SSX Tricky (9/10)

Biohazard (Resident Evil 1) (9/10)

Not many good games on the horizon though, maybe the new Zelda game in the summer(?) and the next Bond game.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an xbox and a Nintendo cube. I actually prefers the xbox but many Japanese do not. It's (xbox) kinda failing here in Japan with terrible sales even only one month after it got released to the public. The omen is not look good for microsoft in their first game endeavor. Great machine though, I think!

It stuns me when people, even now, go out and buy a PS2. The x-box is an amazing system and I can''t understand why it isn't doing amazingly well everywhere in the world. PS2 is outdated, and the gamecube is for kids. That only leaves the X-Box for console gamers over the age of 12.

It *almost* makes me think that Japanese consumers are biased towards their own companies (Sony and Nintendo), but this is surely not true?

Actually bobby, isn't the PS2 only now getting into it's stride, so the graphics etc are looking similar to Xbox etc? Xbox will overtake soon, but for the moment, PS2 has a huge amount of software and is looking good. Just the impression I got.

I've got a mate that designs games for Sony. It was his idea to do VJing with the original PlayStation. He said that the success of the PS was due to the ease with which third-party designers could get the official nod from Sony to design games, leading to a great diversity of games on the market. The most restrictive console maker at that time was Sega, who put up all kinds of barriers before allowing other developers to put the official logos on their packaging. This is probably why Sega is not in the console business any more.

Rather than the graphics, it's the software that's going to make or break any system.

With the XBox, I think the big question is whether Microsoft is actually prepared to make it successful in itself as a game console, rather than something that simply draws a few sales away from the PS2, which with its networking capabilities is now seen by Microsoft as the biggest rival to Windows for the home user.

• 2 weeks later...

Wierd dont you think. XBox seems to be real popular with people who have it, but getting people to buy it is the problem. Looks like they are having a pretty grim time in Japan.

Aren't they having a pretty grim time anywhere outside of the US. I just read that in the UK they slashed the price from 300 quid to 199 just weeks after it's UK launch.

Apparently anyone who bought it at the original price will be given a "Thank you Package" consisting of 2 games and a console (worth 115 quid). Maybe only for European buyers though.

[This message has been edited by Sharon (edited 18 April 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Sharon (edited 18 April 2002).]

eek.gif

Week 4/8-4/14, Japan Hardware Sales

PS2: 55,000 units (total this year: 1,323,000)

GBA: 31,000 units (total this year: 969,000)

GameCube: 10,000 units (total this year: 510,000)

PS1: 3,000 units (total this year: 74,000)

WonderSwan: 2,000 units (total this year: 11,330)

Xbox: 1,800 units (total this year: 169,000)

Dreamcast: 1,500 units (total this year: 12,000)

See the software sales for Japan last week? XBox at 0.0%!!!! eek.gif

PS2: 69.5%

Game Boy Advance: 13.7%

PSX: 7.8%

GameCube: 6.9%

Dreamcast: 1.2%

Wonderswan: 0.9%

Xbox: 0.0%

If that is not a disaster, then what is?

Xbox games look cool.

The size of the thing alone probably puts lots of Japanese off the idea.

Our local CD/game/magazine shop has a demo Xbox next to the tiny Gamecube. The difference in size is almost laughable.

I have just finished the beginner level of Halo on cooperative mode...simply the best game ever!

Definitely the game to uy the console for.

I dont see how other consoles can compete...

Some of the game shops down here seem to not be selling the XBox - I don't know if they were before or not, but it can't be in good shape if the game shops aren't stocking it.

Sony are putting the boot in with a big price reduction. I don't play video games but it must be great time for those that do.

http://www.scea.com/news/press_example.asp?ReleaseID=9697

Now if we just had the same type of competition between sports car manufacturers or landlords in Japan, I'd be an even happier man.

Thing is though, gamers will already have a PS2 for the most part.

It's the games that cost - and they have not come down in price. All of the consoles bring a loss for the hardware makers, they make their money on the software.

Now if they reduced that cost, it certainly would be a good time for gamers.

gg