Seems quite a few people go/went home over summer. I was wondering what other people brought back from their home countries back to Japan - maybe because you can't easily get the things in Japan.

My list is:

- HP Sauce

- Picallily

- Marmite

Marmite, Patum Peperium - the Gentleman's Relish, crab paste - all good things to spread on toast when you're sh!tfaced. Frank Coopers Oxford Marmalade to spread on toast the next morning, also raspberry jam of any variety.

Tinned and powdered custard.

Mousetrap Cheddar cheese.

Snowboard boots and bindings - gentleman from the Bristol Uni snowboard club pointed me to some snowboard shops in Bristol that have boots at surprisingly good prices. Bollox to Alpen, that's all I can say!

You may call it 'home', but is it really?

Last time I went 'home', my Mum proudly presented me with some crap she called 'homemade ice-cream'. She couldn't use raw egg because English raw egg kills you, so it was some mess of frozen milk with shards of meringue (to substitute for egg) and bits of glace cherry. "Mmm, this is nice, but I'm afraid I'm rather full."

Home is where I hang my red helmet (even if the 'hood rather pongs of the neighbour's cesspits).

Before I came I had read somewhere that I should bring deodorant (smelly gaijin?!), toothpaste (why??) and other toiletry stuff. I can understand the deodorant (do they have any decent stuff here?), but whats with the toothpaste etc?

BTW, I live in the countryside of Fukushima, so it:s difficult to get lots of stuff here.

Deoderant and shoes that fit top the list of things difficult to find here. I have only found one resonable Japanese brand called Ban select for men-comes in a little roll-on bottle designed in the 70's but it does the trick.

Even if it works, Japanese deoderant comes in tiny bottles that don't last very long. Well annoying.

Somerset's Shaving Oil. Highly recommended for hard stubble and sensitive skin. Much better than foams and gels.

Nro 1 on my list would be salmiakki. Probably no translation to English? (salty liquorice?) It's Finnish black candy that can look very suspicious.. (had a nice time at Narita once when the guy asked what the 2kg bag is.. smile.gif Anyone ever tried?

I've never tasted Finnish liquorice, but some of the stuff you get in Holland (spelt drop - but pronounced to rhyme with rope) is killer. There are sweet and salty types, but most of it is very strong. A Dutch friend introduced me to the best one I've ever tasted which is sold loose in a small "apothecary" in Haarlem. It looks like hard lumps of tar and is not chewy at all. Very strong flavour.

[This message has been edited by NoFakie (edited 05 September 2002).]

I'm looking for something to kill the dog across the road. I've tried throwing stones and firing things with my catapult, but it's still alive. Scared, but alive.

I'm thinking that salmiakki or maybe 'drope' might be the answer.

Maybe if some of you stinky people ate less sweets and more patum peperium you might not sweat so much...

Salad cream is like mayonnaise but with more vinegar, and flavourings. It's more runny than mayonnaise. Potato salad with salad cream and chives is the best. You can spread salad cream on bread too for a tasty, healthy snack (snort). Does salad cream still come in that shapely bottle?