• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Tokushima. I was in Kochi for many years, which is a great city despite being TOO FAR from the snow. Tokushima however is kind of lame. I'll probably move in a year or so and I'd like to be closer to snow country. Is Nagoya as bleak as the image that I have? If it is, then I can cross it off my list. (Nagano would be perfect or course.)

OK, Here's my short list of cities or prefectures I'd like to move when I get out of Tokushima:

Nagano

Kobe

Gifu

Kochi

My wife says that people are pretty lame in Toyama, Niigata and most of Tohoku so those areas are off the list pending further evidence. And Sapporo's too cold for her though I'm working on that one.

Kobe is a little far from snow country but I really like the city and Hachikita ski-jo in Northern Hyogo would tide me over in between better ski trips. Kochi is REALLY far from snow country but it's a distinctly amazing city and prefecture with great surf, kick-ass summers, and my friends and wife's family are there.

What do you think of the list? Now I just have to find a job to support the lavish lifestyle that we've grown accustomed to ;\) .

I've heard that people in Tohoku and areas along the Japan Sea are notoriously conservative and not very friendly. It seems to me that different areas of Japan have quite different local cultures and that appears to be a common stereotype held by people in more southern locations. Actually, I spend most of my time trying to break down stereotypes but I thought I'd dispense with PC.

I'd agree with the conservative bit, but there are still some pretty wild and wacky looking people around here. I'm not sure about the unfriendly part. I find people here to be very friendly, but I have no experience of the south, so no reference.

Soubriquette tells me that Tohoku people have a reputation for being quiet and calm. She describes southern people (especially Osaka) as having Latin temperaments. I'm sure there are regional differences. It might be worth checking them out before making a final decision.