tin machine. but anyway, notebooks

tine machine. tin machine. tin machine.

the best lyrics anywhere. anyway, hello!

I was wondering on finding this rather active japan board - and i myself and a snowboarder - can anyone recommend a good notebook pc to me? ive got a real old banger right now and want to splash out on something good.

any ideas.

tin machine

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaios seem to be generally very good - especially the latest models, they keep getting better.

Ocean is right about the Sotecs though - best avoided.

I used to be into Gateway, but they have since run away from japan.

The people I know who used Vaios were on the move with them all the time. They didn't like all the little extras you need, but that aren't built in, and felt that they paid a lot more for style than substance. Not only the Vaios but other Sony stuff they had couldn't take the pace of business on the road.

If you're thinking of taking it overseas, maybe try ringing the manufacturer and ask whether their overseas service department will fix it. I heard that this isn't the case with many companies, even though the only difference with the overseas model is the OS, the keyboard, and sometimes the modem. Sony US won't touch a Japanese Vaio, I heard.

If you're getting a high powered one, try it out in the shop. Cooling is a major issue with the latest CPUS (1GHz+), and there isn't much room in a notebook's case for air circulation, so you may well end up with a noisy fan that's going all the time. This is a known problem with the 505 Vaio, the lovely slimline B5 one. The palm rest becoming hot is also a problem for that model. Another problem (I'm not anti-Sony btw) is that Sony don't have a good reputation for taking back models with faulty pixels ("gaso ochi" - pixels that are on permanently) in the LCD.

If you can read Japanese or can collar someone who can, get yourself over to www.kakaku.com for the lowdown on the cheapest place to buy online and some customer feedback (kuchikomi) on the computer/keitai/electrical appliance/snowboard(?) you're thinking of buying. As with all info online, YMMV.

My woman's got an old 333 Celery-powered 505. It was a bit shaky in 98, but has settled down with win2k. It's only a 10.5 inch screen but the keyboard is still fairly easy to use, even though I normally use a big Microsoft Natural one. It has one faulty pixel that is fairly central and is permanently light blue. The great thing about it is that it's really light. You can carry it anywhere. The newer models with wireless LAN built in must be cool for surfing wherever you like in the house.

Sotec break and then they tell you the bit that broke isn't covered by the warranty, because it's a part that is liable to break with use. This is true, even if hard to believe. Their desktops might be OK, but their laptops cannot stand even minimal use.

BTW, if you're interested in desktops, the Tsukumo brand computers are great value.

Yes, you're right GG, who wants a faster, smaller, lighter system that's got a more advanced OS and is most unlikely to ever catch a nasty virus from the net anyway.

Mac, what a load of junk!

I used to be a fairly rabid Mac fan myself once, but for the business world, a PC is simply more convenient (yes, I know all the compatibility counter-arguments, but they don't wash, even with someone who wanted them to). Having said that, the Tit-Mac is a lovely piece of industrial design.

The only virus I ever caught was on a Mac, and very destructive it was too.

[This message has been edited by Ocean11 (edited 18 July 2002).]

Yeah, you're right, as long as your business isn't creative. Must have been an old mac, eh? they did go through a bad patch, which put a lot of old mac users off. Ex fanatic friends of mine since returning to the fold, however, have been pleasantly surprised.

PC's. I know, I know, slight exaggeration, but the G4 chip is generally faster than comparative pentiums, and storage facilities small and light on the 'tit macs'. Many features make the G4 laptop a rather impressive machine and it's only downside is really that many business people don't use them. Not a machine to sneer at if you actually use a computer to it's 1 GHz potential!

tinmachine? I believe it was one of a certain Mr Bowies side projects, and generally panned. For good reason too.

The highlight was the murmuring of "tin machine, tin machine, tin machine" on one of their best songs, strangely enough called "tin machine".

They were also called Tin Machine, and I heard David Bowie has a dog called Tin Machine.

He also uses a tin machine to open cans, according to rumours. And calls one of his cars tin machine too. It's a good name.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by scouser (edited 18 July 2002).]

Are you ok scouser? smile.gif

Tin Machine. I never really heard them at all but remember them being ridiculed for naffness.

I'd like to have one to drive around in, tho.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit off topic here, but anyone heard Bowies new album, Heathen. Its supposed to be a return to form, kinda interested in giving it a listen.

On topic, I use a Dell desktop