• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the offer to include us in your exclusive club there mate. I'd love to take you up on it but there's a small problem-natto sucks.

Sometimes when I'm in the kitchen I get a whiff of a very unpleasant odor ,and my first thought is that the dog has shat on the floor. However, the culprit always turns out to be a natto container left on the bench by my wife. Healthy it may be-appealing it is not. Oh well, guess I have to stick to being a gaijin then.

Sake, followed closely by shochu. Very nutricious.

There's good natto and horrible natto - it all depends on the quality. Some of it is gritty and stinks, but the good stuff is nice. It goes well in fried rice.

I too am bored of rice. Pasta days and bread days and potato days are a real relief. And for all you Japanese people who think that foreign rice smells, it does. It's called an 'aroma'. The days of nutty smelling Thai rice were more than welcome. But Japanese rice also smells - of damp toilet paper for the most part.

Sake. There are some amazing bottles of sake from Nagano, Niigata, Akita, etc.. Daiginjo - two words: buchi umai!

Ocean11, Got a favorite bottle of Sake?

Davo, thanks for the laugh - had similar thoughts but kept thinking that I didnt wash my running socks for a few days...

There are too many kinds of sake to have one favourite, but Momokawa, Ichi no Kura, Sumiyoshi, and Jozen Mizunogotoshi (before they changed their process some 6 years ago) have all been favourites.

Now I mostly buy my sake at the Maihime kura in Suwa. They have good dry or semi-fruity varieties, and you can swallow a respectable skinful just having free tastings from their fridges.

Got any recommendations? (A new thread perhaps?) For those who can read Japanese, there's a good listing here http://www.wbs.ne.jp/bt/wine-wine/sake_3.htm

[This message has been edited by Ocean11 (edited 19 August 2002).]

• 2 weeks later...