For 'cheap', India, Western China, Nepal, Most of Indonesia outside Bali. What're your criteria? Some places are cheap once you get there, but unless you stay longer than a month, the added cost of the more remote destinations negate the cheaper cost of traveling around. Vietnam, Cambodia, laos...

Thailand-not the best season for weather but I've been in July and it was still pretty sweet compared to here at the same time. Koh Chang is pretty good and probably great for someone on a budget in the off season. If you go to Koh Pahn Gan-bottle beach is good but Haad Rin kind of blows if you ask me. This is just beach advice and a little dated-things change but if you stay on one good beach you don't need that much cash. BTW I'm jealous.

Chinas a pretty big place, blinkin-ek.

Apart from Japan, the only other Asian country I have been to is Malaysia. We really liked it, great weather, amazing beaches, great food.

• 2 weeks later...

thailand sucks, though the food is great.

The Philippines has better beaches than thailand, better diving too. The food is ****ing awful though.

The most beautiful beach I went to was on the Perhentian Islands off the north-east of Malaysia. It was well out of the way and stone dead though, if you're after some action. I've not had a decent (more than four days) trip to Asia for several years, so things have no doubt changed.

In the Philippines, I went to a Mr. Lady beauty contest (as a spectator of course) and did a couple of nice wreck dives in Palawan. I also went though a manic cave near Bontoc, where they have the steep rice terraces. The only dish I remember was barbequed pork on sticks, though it was quite nice.

The fondest memories I have are of India, though I wouldn't go there if you've only got a couple of weeks. It's a massive country and it takes too long to get around, to say nothing of the hassles like getting train tickets and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Thailand for me too - I've been twice now. The first time we went up north, and the second time in Bangkok and down to Phuket (the mainstream route). Both very different but had a blast both times.

A Japanese lady friend went in the spring and really enjoyed it. Said the food and scenery was good, but marred by the very insistent 'Pol Pot Trot' that kicked in after a few days, and lasted for a good while after her return.

• 2 weeks later...