Off topic - best roller (jet) coasters in Japan

The one on Rokko Island in Kobe nearly induced cardiac arrest in this little kiddiewinkie, but then I haven't been on many roller coasters (except the Big One they call 'a career in Japan'). The big wooden one somewhere in Kyushu looks good - thrill to the sound of creaking wood when the trollies hit 50 kph.

Here's a few pointers:

Fujiyama (Fujikyu Highland Park) - in '97 was the tallest, fastest in the world and is still an impressive, smooth, fast and fun beast. Highly recommended.

Dodonpa (same park) - new this year, and claiming to be the fastest. It starts on the horizontal and blasts off from 0 > 178 km/h in 1.8 seconds. An amazing rush. Then goes up (at 90 deg) and down (at 90 deg) a small "hill" and that's it. Something youve never felt before.

Suzuka circuit (Mie Pref) - they have a couple of decent coasters.

And I have heard that the most recent "tallest, fastest" conventional coaster is somewhere in Mie-ken too. Anyone help me out??

Have a great time!

Yo JasonP

Only going on what one of my mates says, but that sounds like the Steel Dragon 2000 at Nagashima Spa Land. I don't remember what world records he said it holds, but it sounded like the real McCoy.

Out of curiosity, I entered Nagashima Spa Land into Google and the first hit was this mental resource - the Roller Coaster Database.

http://www.rcdb.com/

There're all the pics and stats you could ever need about the things. Except how much they cost and how long you've gotta queue frown.gif You can do searches to see which one is the biggest/fastest/longest etc. It's a really well-designed site. Half an hour on there and you can pass yourself off as a world expert.

Theres a few "baby" ones in Tokyo you can find, the best ones out of Tokyo. Fujikyu is good fun and not too far from Tokyo.

I've been to Fujikyu a couple of times and Nagashima spaland a couple of times. The first drop on the Steel Dragon at Spaland is incredibly I*N#T$E@N!S!E but after that its a fairly cruisy ride. There are loads of other coasters at spaland including white cyclone, a really good old style wooden coaster. Fujiyama at Fujikyu Highland has a pretty intense first drop and then it keeps it going for the rest of the ride. I prefer the sustained terror of Fujiyama but the rest of the Fujikyu park is really lame (I haven't been on the new ride there though)

Happy Screaming!

Them tower things scare the shit out of me much more than any coaster. They have one at Fujikyu I think but there's on in central Tokyo at Korakuen (next to Tokyo Dome) - I think that one's called "Tower Hacker" or something like that.

Scary.

Steel Dragon is really good. That and Suzuka make Mie a great place for coasters - better than what Tokyo have.

I read that Korakuen in Tokyo will be opening a hyper coaster (over 200ft) and a big wheel WITH NO SPOKES - and the new coaster going through the middle of the big wheel - in 2003. Phew

Steel Dragon rocks. Definitely worth a trip.

The other place I like - fitting perfectly in with my Japan Suzuka F1 experience - is the park they have just by the race track... a few decent rides there.

They had that Dodonpa on the TV this morning. Looked pretty intense. Also showed Steel Dragon 2000 as well and a few other kiddie places in their "Golden Week Coaster special". Not very golden, seemed to be raining everywhere.

The new plans at Korakuen look interesting.

I saw that too.

Looked like fun. You can never really tell what rollercoasters are like by seeing videos though. Much faster when you're on them.

Did you see that new on at Six Flags Magic Mountain in the US - looked wicked.

That new Tokyo Dome megacoaster planned was on TV last night - looked really cool. It's gonna look HUGE right there surrounded by buildings etc.

• 1 month later...

We went to Fujikyu last week.

Apart from the main Dodonpa and Fujiyama, the place isn't anything impressive - but them two more than make up for it.

It wasn't too busy so we could go on both of them quite a lot. Not recommened for those with heart conditions.