I don't have any real horror stories, just digging for other peoples really. A while after I got to London I was out of proper work for a few weeks and used to go to this crappy little agency which would send me off to do fun things like washing dishes or stuffing envelopes. I particularly remember at one place being yelled at by the head diswasher(no joke) for screwing up this weired ass conveyer belt dish carrying thing, and not being able to tell him to go #### himself cause I was broke.

Teaching jobs? Best lesson was teaching using video excerpts from an episode of A Little House on the Priarrie. Pure sickly sachharine, but very kindness ne?

I worked on a building site too, refurbishing Debenhams in Bristol. They had let a lot of dust pile up on their back stairs and it was my job to carry buckets of water up 6 floors and wash the dust down to the bottom - 6 flights of stairs with 4 cm of dust on them. And when I asked for a dust mask, the foreman was really quite rude.

The shifts were 12 hours too.

12 hours spent in a dusty stairwell can make you think unhappy thoughts.

Ah, the dignity of labour...

I'm not sure which was worse, that or my conversational prostitution job in Osaka. "So Makiko, what did you do last weekend?"

Yeah I had a great time working on a building site-had nothing to do most of the time except sit around and read the Sun in the tearoom with all the other people skiving off. But 2 weeks was plenty long enough to sit around reading the Sun-shit jobs are the best. I've often tried hard to see the funny side of them, but they're always much funnier in retrospect.

Davo, that sounds good but our job was the pits and we had hardly any time off. It was smelly, dirty, tiring and I got sick of reading the Mirror.

Milkboy during the heaviest snow storm in the history of Christchurch NZ. Damn cold and slippery. Only thing that wasn't too bad about it was you actually wanted to run to keep warm.

I forgot to mention it was also very smelly as it was an industrial chemical plant in Widnes, a stunningly beautiful place on the banks of the scenic River Mersey.

Planting grass seedlings onto a cricket pitch in Perth was by far my worst. The day started at 6am. I had to find grass sprouts in a massive pile of clippings, then walk out to the pitch and plant them and return to my pile and start again with the day ending at 4:30pm. I think I lasted 4 days at that job

mogski, that reminds me of doing a paper round in a posh (nouveau riche) and very hilly area of Bristol. One really snowy day it took me till lunchtime what with all that slipping over with my big, heavy, smelly bag of papers and worthless Sunday supplements.

And nouveau riche dogs are usually big and if they don't want to shag your leg, they want a bit of your bag.