I went to an 80s night out last night and it was a blast. Loads of Japanese there too, enjoying all those oh-so-lovely 80s sounds.

Any 80s favorites people?

Hazel O'Connor - Stay Now (nice, but blow your nose dear)

Visage - Fade to Grey (parlez vous francais?)

Robert Plant - Big Log (snigger - hope you flushed)

Springsteen - Dancing in the Dark (goodbye Mandy, we had some fun)

What did they play frannyo? There were some good Yuming songs from the 80s.

Lets see. Too many to remember.

Visage, Culture Club, all the PWL stuff (Kylie, etc).

Pet shop boys, Tears for fears, Duran duran, Spandau ballet, new romantic stuff

bruce springsteen, all that AOR crap that sounds the same (Toto, Chigago, Richard Marx - that kind of stuff)

Some "cool" scouse 80s bands:

Frankie Goes to Hollywood (12 inch discussion....)

Dead or Alive (always a laff to watch Pete Burns behind the store in his record shop, Matthew St)

OMD

The Las (early 90s maybe)

I'm tempted to say Prince, Sly and Robbie, Public Enemy and lots of electro/early house, but seeing as I think you mean stuff that's more kind of natsukashii pop I'll go with

Human League "Love Action" (mega mega tune. Not to be confused with "Don't You Want Me", which is terrible)

Imagination "Just an Illusion" (more pop than funk, I suppose. Leee John is still going, btw)

Bronski Beat "Smalltown Boy" (I wasn't impressed at the time, but it sounds great now)

XTC "Making Plans for Nigel" (killer cutting riff)

The Cult "She Sells Sangtuary" (Red Indians from Bradford (!) Could never take em anything like as seriously as they took themselves, but some top riffs, even pre-Rubin)

Smiths "Hand in Glove" (mega tune, mega lyrics - people who go on about them being miserable never heard this one)

Soup Dragons "I'm Free" (big party tune after a few beers)

Mondays/Karl Denver "Lazyitis" (hilarious)

Mikey G/DJ Sven "Holiday Rap" (hypercheesy but irresistable. Thomas Bangalter played it when Daft Punk toured with Cassius a few years ago)

Joe Dolce "Shaddap You Face" (Best selling single in Australian history - need I say more?)

It might be 70s not 80s but there's a bootleg mix of 10cc's "Dreadlock Holiday" with Destiny's Child "Independent Woman" over the top. It's a killer blend of old and new. Highly recommended to all you nostalgia freaks.

80s scouse pop? The Bunnymen deserve a mention surely. "Silver" - what a happy tune!

NAFF NEW ROM CORNER:

KajaGOOGOO

Heaven 17

The Spandaus

Ultravox

KEYBOARD-DUDE CORNER:

Human League

Soft Cell

Depeche

INDIE CORNER:

The Smiths of course

The Fall

The Las

How many of them guys are still around?

Oh, the list could go on forever.

So many memories - surprisingly many of them good.

[This message has been edited by rach (edited 13 June 2002).]

GOTH CORNER

The Cult

The Mission

All About Eve

Sisters of Mercy

How could you forget the Bunnymen, scouser. They're still around too - at Fuji rock last year.

You Spin Me Round

Just before that became a hit, Mr Burns was working in that record shop and people just went to look at him. And his hair. He was a good advert for the shop.

lol.gif

Quote:
Google weren't too productive on that request...

Thats coz they're ....

Search-ing!
Looking for lurve!
All the time they ca-an!

Hazell Dean was the b*ll*x. SAW went to the dogs with bloody Kylie and Jason.

Luh-huv hit me right between the eye-hi-hi-highs! Woa woa ! High En-er-gy! Your lurve is lifting me!

Must have been some lurve to lift Hazell Dean .... tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by NoFakie (edited 28 June 2002).]

TinMachine reminded me of another "phenomenon".

Sigue Sigue Sputnik...remember them? They were around for about 10 minutes. If I remember well, they had the amazing idea of wearing fishnet tights on their heads and selling ad spaces on the space inbetween tracks on their album.