I was speaking with some Japanese friends on a trip last week about how much I hate the music on the speakers.

To my surprise, I was outvoted - they seemed to approve of the entertainment.

How about your Japanese friends/colleagues?

They seem pretty indifferent about it. I'm always doing my best to sing along to it (though I barely speak any Japanese) and they just laugh at me \:\) I hate it myself, even if it is a band I like and it's in English.

I'm trying to get a trip together for my friend to come visit me in oregon next year. He's excited to see the differences between skiing in Japan and there. I think the lack of noise on the mounatain and music in particular may be the first thing he notices.

I asked the same, there isn't the same venom directed towards it as there is from us gaijin types. I just asked a few people here, and they said they actually liked it - a positive response. They'd prefer it there than not be there.

Hard to believe hey folks.

I wonder how the older Japanese folks feel about it? With a society based so much on image and youth, it's no wonder the younger people like it. However, while I was sitting outside on a bench eating an ice cream cone yesterday, an older couple (60's) was waiting for the bus to get over to the other side of the mountain. They guy was in his Descente suit and the woman in some powder blue ugly thing. They both kept looking in the window at their reflections and doing ski poses. I had no idea what to make of it. It was very hard to keep from laughing.

I don't think many Japanese notice it, they're just used to it. I've asked a few over the years and its a case of it's ok, good to have something on in the background.

I doubt that J people really like the music. I think what you will find is that they have not even bothered to form an individual opinion about it. They just 'like' it because that is the way it is. If they were prepared to think about it they would no doubt have to be for once honest with themselves and conclude that the music is crap and it should go.

;\)

I can usually block out the music or it gives something to laugh about with friends.

It's the loud buzzing and annoying voice telling me to get on and off the chair that makes me want to rip somebodies head off and through it into the bull wheel. mad.gif mad.gif

I like listening to music as I ride. Back home, they usually only have the music playing in the snowboard parks. I'm not so down with the "Sound of Music" songs that they like to play in Hakuba although the "Kick the can Crew" is pretty tight.

It beats having to listen to that stupid "CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE" advertising at DYNALAND! If I hear "CHOCOLATE" with that annoying loud voice again, I think that I am going to kill myself.

Hi everyone. I'm Japanese. I really hate to listen to stupid music on slope. My wife , Japanese, has same opinion. It is probably because I don't like Japanese songs. If the music is my favorite, it'll be ok. How do you think?

It's one of Japanese absurd custom. You can't escape from music wherever you go. Supermarket, coffee shop, barbarshop and so on.

I was at a resort in US last weekend, and actually did not notice that the resort did not play any noise at all. I must blcok them all out in J resorts. But after realizing that there is an utter quietness, I really enjoyed it.

Hi Makoto, it looks like you have put a lot of effort into your website. Cool.

I like your open opinion giving:

"I've been to Kusatsu on 22nd and 23nd. It was really terrible. If you'd like to enjoy skiing/snowboarding, don't go Kusatsu"

\:\)

All, thanks for visiting my website and your comments. I'm really glad.

All info is based on my experience. Since I hadn't known this forum till fairly recently, I thought foreigners had difficulties to get this kind of info. That's why I made that.

Anyway this forum is really helpful and interesting, even for Japanese.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
I heard them play the entire brand new Incubus CD at Naeba on Sat. Pretty cool...but what they followed it with was far from good.
Whoo hoo go incubus....couldn't think of anything better to board/ski to!

ps i'm seeing them in concert on the 28th March! nana na na nana! lol.gif