el diablo has a point with his constant posts about our furry friends-I don't think they're grizzlys but there's definitly bears up in these mountains. I saw one last weekend under the Happone gondala as I was going up, close to where I had been riding. The next day 2 were in plain view from the quad at 47 chilling on one of the lower ridge runs that we're not allowed to go on. Has anyone else seen any out and about?I thought they were supposed to be asleep at this time of year-not to keen on running into one at high speed. Are they working for ski patrol? What's the deal all you zoologists out there?

As many of you are probably aware of, Hakuba 47 and Happo are two of the main offenders regarding unsportsmanlike patroling of the ropes, ropes which we all know are only there to stop the groomers steamrolling our powder.

The bears, management assures us, are most definitely not there to prevent off piste riding, the roped off areas being designated as 'bear reserves' (the latest marketing strategy), the ropes obviously there to keep the bears in. Management has done nothing, however, to stem the rumour that the bears are kept awake with amphetamines. Management has refused to comment on local rumours of orders placed with a local print company for signs stating 'Warning, bears on Acid', along with a brief description of the magnetic attraction bears have for the deepest, lightest powder, preferably surrounded by trees with a sprinkling of fast-moving objects.

Is that Kiwi Dave from Osaka who gets the Spur-go ?

I saw three of the same critters at probably the same spot last season from the 47 quad. It's a semi-clearing on the last ridge before you go over the crossing route/naughty launch pad that joins R1. As bears go, they're not very big, but I've seen a stuffed one and their teeth and claws are big enough to do some damage if you hit one of them or their cubs. I think it was mid-March at the time, so maybe the fine weather has woken them up early this year. That area is totally surrounded by gelende, so I suppose they must venture out onto the normal courses at some point.

If only there was some deep and light powder to be zealously patrolled....

Come on the snow !

Yeah that's me-who are you mysterious nofakie? You're spot on with the location, I was happy that I actually saw them before I'd even been for a run. Just the suprise of running into a bear there could be the variable that sees you screwing up and hitting a tree-something I've managed to do a few times without Fozzies help anyway. Somehow I doubt that they would be too happy about it either. Someone else I know ran into one between 2&3 as well. So the resorts are running bear reserves eh? Guess that puts the World Wildlife Fund out of a job. The gelando DJ is actually spinning a carefully formulated set of Jpop romanceuu anthems that condition the bears to awake for bouts of sleepy mid winter shagging-thus-ensuring the survival of the species. Top marks for both marketing and environmental science-has anyone got a medal?

Could be a good opportunity for some 'live biathalon'. I've always wondered how well rifles and snowboards would go togther.

There must be some mighty big bunnies getting about too - wherever I went at Sugi t'other day, there were those big 3 foot prints. There was a good natural kicker over a fox hole too. Mr Todd musta been surprised to see big mateys luffing airs over his house.

yeah it's like I've been saying - grizzlies.

i've just about had enough after watching

another friend getting mauled by a pack of

bloodthirsty grizzlies.

think you don't like jpop ? think about what

it does to a grizzly's psyche. having to

listen to that crap every single day when

you are just trying to hibernate.

no wonder they are tearing all over the

mountains, eating everyone in sight.

NoFakie, I saw bears last year in the exact same place. They were having a little more fun than I was if you know what I mean.

I thought they were meant to sleep when it snows....

On seconds thoughts, perhaps the male awoke and given what happens to most males in the morning's I guess he didn't want to waste the power that had built up in the last couple of months.

Kuma, Emi & me saw bear in Kagura,Mitsumata & Tashiro. (well, Kuma doesn't believe that is "KUMA(BEAR)" but It was bear.)

And Kuma & me saw Japanese Cerows or Caribou or something like that kind of animals in Gala Yuzawa last week.

You can meet many bears in several places! tongue.gif

And also If you go to Takaragawa Onsen in Gunma, you can go to Onsen with Bears. (4 bears live in Takaragawa Onsen.

I am. Can't speak for el diablo though.

"So don't you

Help help here come the bears !

Help help here come the bears !

Let's split !"

Yo mogski

That's an avalanche area, you know. It must be because it says so on the signs you have to avoid at the top. Those amorous bears might just set off a slide that engulfs some poor beginner on the rinkan below. They should be stopped at once. You should tell the patrol to go in and do something about it. Maybe give them a prod with a stock or something. If you do get the patrol out, be sure to ring me up so I can come and watch. Bears vs. the Patrol. That one sounds like a goody !

Good to see so many boarding sistas out there. I'm not in marketing but if I had a resort I'd let women between 18 and 30 in for free. I think it would get busy in no time.

I was flabbergasted to see how many beautiful young womens were getting about on boards at Sugi. Quite a lot of bending at the waist which is always nice to see girls doing (titter).

No womens nor bears in the woods though.

Nat, are the bears who live in the onsen swimming bears, or are they employed to keep the place clean? Do they claw, scratch and bite, coz if they do, I'd want more to put between them and my nekkid flesh than a small towel.

Ocean11 - I think bears are enployed by Takaragawa Onsen.

Good things about Takaragawa Onsen

For both Gender - Pretty close to Tenjindaira. Also Onsens are Beautiful river side outdoor Onsen. Mixed Onsen. You can meet 4 bears.

Bad things about Takaragawa Onsen.

For girl - Takaragawa Onsen does not allow to wear Swimming suite.... They allow gals to wear big towel however wet-towel shows your bodyline!

For both gender - winter season.... slightly cold...

Sorry to piss on your bonfire. They're pretty scary looking close up though. Like a big fat cross between a pig a deer and a bear.

Ran into them a couple of times at 47, once at Cortina and once while I was climbing Yatsugatake in the Autumn. Almost shat myself when I saw the one on Yatsugatake. The fat furry thing just stared at me from his position astride the ridge between me and safe return. An uneasy showdown ensued with the gauntlet finally being thrown down by me. I strode forward fully expecting to lose my crown jewels but the audacious move was too much for the bewildered hoofed fiend and he nimbly hopped off the side of the ridge. The final showdown could wait for another day.....

Nah mate, different colour (and shape). The animals I saw were bear-coloured bears. Just like the stuffed one at the entrance to Sen'inkaku (Kuzu Onsen), the mixed bathing onsen up near Takase Dam in Omachi.

Kamoshika change colour during the year (as do raicho) but they never get as dark (or as round) as bears. You can see a range of stuffed Kamoshika in different seasonal colours at the Mountain museum in Omachi if you don't believe me.

I've seen a live Kamoshika close up near Otanihara, the place on the back road into the Kashimayari resort where the mountain path up to Jiigatake/Kashimayari starts. It was really dark and the thing jumped out onto the path about 10 yards in front of me. I thought it was a bear, but my torch proved otherwise. However, true to the "deer in the headlights" expression, it totally froze when I shone my Maglite at it. The path at that point is a fairly wide tarmac road, so I decided just to peg it past and hope for the best. Thankfully it jumped down the other side just as I was going past. I saw a lot of kamoshika at 47 last year, but that was later in the season.

Kamoshika are poofs - they always run away. They cock their heads and look curious and lead you halfway up the mountain as you try and get closer for a better look.

Mind out for the round black things that race down the hill with the noise of thunder - seen 'ems a coupla times, but damned if I know what they are.

Many sometimes bright, sometimes not, slightly furry mammals that reside in the middle of the runs for long periods, barking, sqawking and generally doing nothing.

They usaully appear as you come flying down over the ridge and/or have this incredible knack to hang around near all the cool jumps etc.

Anyone else seen these?

[This message has been edited by mogski (edited 11 February 2002).]

• 4 months later...

Yeah I did finally work out they were not bears when I saw them close up. I've never seen a bear so I thought (and still do think) that kamushkas look like bears from a distance. You really have a lot of time on your hands don't ya Cheeseman?