I was motoring through Nagano (Nozawa down to Matsumoto) over Golden Week, and in the evening when we stopped a few times the frogs were SO LOUD - blinkin 'ek - couldn't believe it.

Do they go on like that for a long time?

[This message has been edited by blinkin'ek (edited 07 May 2002).]

It's called 'nature'. And they go on like that until they're all shagged out, around early September. Then we can think about maybe popping down to Alpen to see if the snowboarding kit is out yet.

Lotsa crayfish in northern Yamanashi too. They're pretty quiet until you step over their ditch in the dark, whereupon they go 'pishypishypishy-splot' and make you wet your pants.

One night after a huge storm, I saw a crayfish the size of a large Ise ebi splattered in the road in Kofu. It didn't look like it had been run over. God knows how it got there. My theory was that one of those big kites caught it in a remote stream in the hills and was forced by high-winds to jettison it over the city. I bet you don't get giant crayfish falling from the sky in Tokyo or Osaka.

In Kofu, I had to shake the frogs out of my umbrella in the morning, and there'd be five or six clinging to my bike. They'd all jump off one by one along my route, and the ones that hit the wheels really went flying.

Lots of little green and brown frogs make a lot of noise in chorus, but just a single bullfrog can make quite a racket. I went skinny dipping in a remote pool behind a damn in Ehime one summer, and just as I was going gingerly down into the water, I heard a loud 'Mooooooooa' and a very big splash just down the bank. That got me out of the water pretty damn quick.

As Canned Heat sang "Do you ever wake up with them bullfrogs on your mind?" The answer is, "Yes, I do".

• 3 weeks later...