• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the England team are training behind a 10m curtain. None of the locals, who are paying for all of the security, can watch. Must be a real downer for them.

All host villages absolutely know that training will be wanted to be done in secret in advance.

Many villages etc have been ruled out just because there are surrounding mountains where people can peek in.

They may not like it, but they knew right from the word go.

The Paraguay team in Matsumoto have been going round local schools and inviting kids to come and watch them. Maybe they're not potential victors but it's good to see some gratitude all the same. Despite the fact that there is one hell of a lot of money circulating around the World Cup, a good number of ordinary people have volunteered to help. It's a bit crappy if all the locals get to do is to wave a flag as a bus goes past.

I agree with you NoFakie - it would be nice.

BUT...

The teams are not here to doss around and do PR and cultural exchange - they are here to build up to the most important games of their life. In cases like the England squad - until now they have hardly ever been together, let alone play, and so they are in desperate need to practice and concentrate on the task in hand.

Having said that, I'm sure they're doing something (?!?!)

> The teams are not here to doss around and do PR and cultural exchange - they are here to build up to the most important games of their life.

That's as maybe, but how much value does that have compared with other scenarios (like the one NoFakie mentioned?)

Simple really. How much does all the secrecy actually affect the chances of a team winning? What is the effect on local morale when police roadblocks are set up just so little boys can kick their ball around away from prying eyes? How much of a 'festival' is it really when it involves so much quasi-military dicking about?

So my point is, the exchange activities and openness of some teams is worth far more than all the 'seriousness' of some others. Practicing behind curtains encourages a view of football that it's a sport that requires secret strategies, expensive and elitist facilities, and nobody watching to practice well. All bollocks of course.

Excuse me for butting in on this discussion.

The way I see it, isn't it less a matter of "secrets" (which ARE important - are you a football fan Ocean11) - and more one of what's best for the team in the build up.

The town I live in was "dame" for a World Cup training squad precisely because there are too many surrounding hills where people can "watch" practice.

I'm sure the teams do something locall though don't they? It's surely not all secret/security.

> What actually is the "worth" you talk of that the teams who are "open" and do "cultural exchange activities" will get?

Fundamental questions these. But phrasing it "give" rather than "get" would be more to the point wouldn't it? They get paid a lot of money, they get given a lot of privileges, they get a lot of adulation. What do they give in return?

Do you seriously believe that the Japanese team will score more goals for being coddled in a hugely expensive ryokan with their own private football pitch and their several kilometre exclusion zone? How may extra goals? One? Two? I reckon none.

Am I a fan? No, I'm not a fanatic, but I like the game of football when it's wholesome.

Quote:
They get paid a lot of money, they get given a lot of privileges, they get a lot of adulation. What do they give in return?

- they give their best in the game for their team. They have not entered into a contract with their "fans" who give them the adulation to do PR and to do nice things like making paper cranes with children. They have become stars and idols because they are good at football. Thats it. Thats what they give. There should be no need for more. If there is more, great.

Quote:
Do you seriously believe that the Japanese team will score more goals for being coddled in a hugely expensive ryokan with their own private football pitch and their several kilometre exclusion zone? How may extra goals? One? Two? I reckon none.

- Very possibly there will/would be no difference in results. But aren't they the professionals who know how to prepare the best for their coming task? Who are we, as people who are not experts in football management, to know that?

[This message has been edited by OzOzOz (edited 28 May 2002).]

Yey! smile.gif

>>>>>>>>

David Beckham will be fit for England's World Cup opener against Sweden, Sven-Goran Eriksson predicted on Tuesday.

The England coach told a press conference at the side's base here that Beckham had come through a tough morning training session in which he had kicked a lot of balls and would be ready to resume full training with the rest of the squad on Wednesday at the latest.

"He had a session this morning and he did everything," a visibly delighted Eriksson said.

"So hopefully this afternoon or, for sure, tomorrow morning he will do everything with us. And of course, hopefully there will not be a reaction after that. We think he will be ready for Sweden, yes."

Beckham has not played for nearly seven weeks after breaking a bone in his left foot during Manchester United's Champions League semi-final with Bayer Leverkusen. Fears he could miss the World Cup had been seen as a major blow to England's chances of advancing in the tournament.

I agree with the above poster that the players owe nothing to the fans.

Secondly, they need secrecy to practice special free kick tricks, penalties etc. a lot of important goals are scored from fancy new free tricks so its important to keep these secret.

England. Beckham is 100% in for the sweden game, according to BBC news. Dyer is the only out, as Butt, Seaman and the other one are all OK. Danny Murphy was sent home after breaking his foot. sinclair has taken his place.

Finally, for all your TV schedules (SKY and NHK) and exact times, highlight programs etc, go to:

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/sports/soccer/wcup/schedule/tellylist.html

I am also with bobby and OzOzOz on this one.

Penalties, free kicks, set play - the teams need to be able to have secrecy with any new moves they are planning. They may well be the difference between a win or a lose. In the case of Beckham - who is superb at set play - it becomes all the more important.

Also agree on the other point. The players owe the fans zilch - APART from playing their best to win.

No one is saying it wouldn't be "nice" if they did lots of cool stuff while they were here, it's just that is not why they are here.

[This message has been edited by scouser (edited 28 May 2002).]

There's a little bit more to it than just what the players owe or don't owe the 'fans'. If people are put out by the presence of all these highly focused and secretive players and they happen not to give a toss about football, it doesn't create a very good impression. However if some local children seem to be getting something out of it all, then the whole thing is so much more appealing, even if you happen to see football as some sort of game.

Some people who pay the taxes that keep the turf nice and green might just appreciate a few tokens of goodwill. S'all I'm saying

"There's a little bit more to it than just what the players owe or don't owe the 'fans'."

- Yes there is more to it than that. Namely preparation of new techniques, security etc etc. You seem to think they are here on some sort of JET Program / cultural exahange program.

"If people are put out by the presence of all these highly focused and secretive players and they happen not to give a toss about football, it doesn't create a very good impression."

- Again, "creating a good impression" is not the purpose of why they are here.

"However if some local children seem to be getting something out of it all, then the whole thing is so much more appealing, even if you happen to see football as some sort of game."

- "Much more appealing". Again, not the purpose. It would be nice to be "much more appealing", and I am sure that all of the camps have at least something arranged, don't they?

"Some people who pay the taxes that keep the turf nice and green might just appreciate a few tokens of goodwill. S'all I'm saying"

- The town council decided to have a camp come to their town fully knowing the amount of security and the need for privacy. Any "events" with children etc will have been arranged well in advance.

Oh yeah, did you hear about Becks playing around with the ball for 30 minutes after the game on Sunday in front of 10,000 Japanese fans. To a soundtrack of the Spice Girls??!! eek.gif

But basically:

They are not here to entertain locals.

They are not here for PR purposes.

The towns who have them are fully aware of what is involved when they applied.

S'all I'm saying.

I have to agree with the sentiments of Nagano's Governor Tanaka. Although Matsumoto seems to be getting some value out of having Paraguay train there, he still asks 'Are the tax-payers getting good value for that amount of money?'

Just to add a bit to this discussion...

Over the last 3 days I have seen lots of images of the England team and also with them talking to "fans" and the general public.

So perhaps you should shut ya cakehole.

wink.gif

Quote:
I want him to come to my room and practice many energetic thing with me. Hihi

You're a naughty one aren't you echineko? I like that.

You are going to have to "reveal yourself" to us all here, you know that don't you. Send in your pics to the site and I'm sure they'll post them so we can all enjoy.

Oh alright then cakehead, I was getting pretty bored of that line of argument anyway.

I'd much rather pester sex kitten for photos. What sort of workout have you got planned for the handsome cockatoo then, ***** cat?