Did anyone else see the race in Austria last night. Slowcello was fast and "won" the race, but team orders made him let The Chin win on the last 200 meters.

Terrible terrible terrible. Good on the fans at the ring - booing and giving the thumbs down.

I need to gather my thoughts.

Check this out. Says it all really.

====================

Q: Michael, what is this championship worth now?

MS: I didn't know I am champion yet.

Q: If you win this championship, Michael, what is this championship worth now?

MS: I don't think that is a very nice question to ask now.

Q: Isn't this a sport? Isn't this about motor racing?

MS: (No comment)

[...]

Q: Michael. You said if you could reverse it you would. Are you then saying that if the FIA excluded both of you for bringing the sport into disrepute, you would not appeal?

MS: Thank you.

[...]

Q: Michael do you want to win the world championship because you are the best racer or because you have got the best contract?

MS: (No comment)

Q: All three of you are talking about this as a team sport. Why do we have an individual world championship for drivers?

All drivers: (No comment)

Here's another one from the Atlas F1 board

===============

I think Schumacher miscalculated how bad the PR would be for going by Rubens. When he finished the race, he pumped his fist in the air, and looked pleased! That is until he noticed the crowd was boooing him. That is how arrogant the guy is, he actually believed people would be happy for him winning, EVEN if it was gifted.

Ross Brawn had the nerve to say that this was no race, and that the pits were in control all the time - well thanks a bunch pal, you've made us all feel pretty stupid for watching.

Remember, no spectators, no sponsors, no money, no motor racing.

yeah it was a very pityfull effort on ferraris part. they basically "rigged" the match..... i wonder how many ferrari team/company members had money on the chin to win?!?!?!?!.

if this had happened in any other sport (boxing,Cricket,football,soccer etc)there would be fines-a-plenty and possibly disqualification for ferrari because they set the outcome of the race!

thats an idea.... lets hop ferrari get disqualified so that everyone else gets a fair go!!!!

Rumor has it that The Chin might be retiring at the end of this season. Not the first time I've heard that, and I doubt it, but...

I hope the FIA will punish Ferrari somehow.

I read some of the articles posted here. What a poor excuse for a sport. Have I got this wrong? - "We need a win for our IPO, so we're going to throw the race, and the fans will understand. And if they don't, there are more important things at stake, so what the hell." Can you say, 'corporation'?

I used to like sumo, knew all the wrestler's names and data, until I read the details of how it gets fixed. Now I don't bother even watching it. Once competition that is supposed to be tooth and nail stops being such, it can only disappoint.

Quote:
Have I got this wrong?

You have it partly right.

BUT, Ocean, are you pretending that such things dont happen in other sports?

The issue here is 2 drivers going for the same team, with the same team objectives.

Oh, what the heck, it's a farce however you look at it.

rolleyes.gif (too much beer)