Norway 3 - 0 Japan : OK, but what about the terrible coverage....

I didn't see the match, but apparently Japan were poor.

I tuned into the Wide shows on TV this morning hoping to hear the score. I knew instantly that Japan had had a poor result.

Why?

Because if the tema had done well, there would be TV saturation and big smiles all round.

What did I see?

Glum wideshow commentators not mentioning the game at all until a small spot hidden away when they quietly mentioned it.

Gets on me nerves.....calm down, calm down.

frown.gif

I only watched the first half but the Japanese team looked very bad. They kept getting caught in possession and their defenders didn't seem able to pick up the runs of Solskjaer (sp?) and Iverson, even when they had a man advantage. When the Japanese did get a cross into the box, it just sailed high and away from their strikers. At least with Shunsuke or Santos out wide, they normally get that bit right.

Hide got away with a nice foul on Jon Arne Riise and Ono had some nice touches, but that was about it from what I saw.

I have nothing against them and wish them the best but as I said before, no chance.

The only ? is the home support factor - which admittedly will give them a big push.

But in terms if football skills - no chance.

The poor coverage could have been a Fuji TV thing. After broadcasting the game live the previous day, they had a big post-mortem on the "Suporuto" program (the old "Pro Yakyu News") last night with interviews with about half the team.

The first goal was from a free-kick where having worked out the extreme offside trap used by the Japanese back four at set pieces, the Norwegians got an unlikely suspect (what looked like one of the centre halves) to run from deepish and get a free header. The Japanese post-game consensus was "we'd better not do that again."

The second was a sharp snapshot from a loose ball in the box that looked like it went through Kawaguchi. Why people rate him I'll never know. He's got no presence at all, and when the defence goes AWOL just waves his arms and shouts something like "daijoubu". Great keepers like Shilts or Dino Zoff terrorize defenders by calling them names that would doubtlessly be censored on this forum. Despite being Portsmouth's record signing, Kawaguchi has been kept out the team by the 42-yr-old Dave "Lurch" Beasant. At Newcastle, we paid a fortune for Beasant in the 80s following his moment of fame, a penalty save in a cup final at Wembley, but dumped him in a cut-price deal later the same season. Before Pav and Shay, we had some terrible goalies at Newcastle, but we still got rid of Beasant as soon as we could.

The third goal was a typical Ole Gunnar effort from an angle. Kawaguchi got his foot to it but couldn't keep it out.

About half of Norway's team plays in the Premiership and they've got a very workmanlike approach. They're certainly not the mugs that beat a hapless England team way back when, prompting their commentator to come out with that now-legendary rant naming Lord Nelson, Winston Churchill, Henry Cooper (!!) and Lady Diana. Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, you can hear it here.

http://www.btinternet.com/~alexc/chelsea.htm

Maybe it's one of those where you had to be there....

Japan's major opponent, Belgium, could only draw 0-0 with footballing powerhouse Algeria the other day, so they may not be the force they were back in the 80s. I remember them outplaying England in 1990, hitting the woodwork numerous times before the relatively unknown David Platt volleyed in that free-kick right at the death. Let's hope some of the other England lads can step up in the same way this time.

Go Inglan!

PS The Welsh beat Germany 1-0 so things could be good for the Republic too.

With you on all that NoFakie.

I was meaning more the attitudes of the presenters and Wideshows - ie not at all genki, hiding the result low down in the headlines compared to shouting about it etc

Like when Japan went out of France 98. Even though there was a lot of football to go, Japan "lost interest" in the World Cup almost overnight.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about coverage,

Does anyone know if any of the matches on TV will have bilingual commentary??? I know, don't laugh, a man can dream right.

I've got 4 Irish friends staying at my gaff, it'll not be tha same not being able to listen to any form of commentary.

Good news for you jinja (there are a few other threads on here with more info).

Basically, all the matches have bilingual as far as I know on Sky. So all your fave English speaking team games will have the original English commentaries. I saw the England Korea game last week and they had the original English commentary going as the audio subchannel.

I don't really watch soccer outside of world cup time, so I do not know what good comentary is...but the english comentary on NHK for England/Sweeden game almost put me to sleep...

please tell me these guys aren't doing the whole tourney?

danz

Quote:
Originally posted by danz:
I don't really watch soccer outside of world cup time, so I do not know what good comentary is...but the english comentary on NHK for England/Sweeden game almost put me to sleep...

danz

The NHK English commentary for the Germany Ireland game was Motty (John Motson) and Trevor Brooking, who are both well established in England. They commented on replays that weren't shown on NHK, so they must be using different pictures back home, though this doesn't matter when the ball is in play. It was certainly better than the overexcited Japanese commentary on the admittedly great France-Uruguay game last night.

In England we tend to favour a minimalist approach to tv commentary. There's a stark contrast between an American tennis commentator who will comment on every shot in a twenty-stroke rally and an English commentator who will just say "Well played!" or something similar when it ends and then share some banter with the analyst. It's much more laid back.