In Japan or overseas.

I don't mean the crappy freeby English mags in Japan, but stuff like Powder mag, or music/sports/movie mags and stuff.

They all seem so expensive in Tower Records and stuff, wondering if its cheaper to subscribe and get them sent over.

I get some mags sent over from the UK - NME, Q Magazine, and my mate bought me a sub present to FHM mag last summer so that comes every month too. They come to about 10000-12000 yen for 12 issues, including getting them sent over. The postman likes it when the cover is see through rather than dark gray!

[This message has been edited by scouser (edited 03 June 2002).]

I used to get magazines sent over, but after them being sent over the info is well old when you get them. Now we have cheap internet, magazines are a waste of time (and a lot of money!), that's what I reckon.

But you can't read the Internet on the toilet, can you? (Actually I can, with my PocketPC.) I'm wondering when Toto are going to come out with a broadband Internet toilet - it's an obvious next step. You can even have it take samples and contact your local hospital if it finds you have cancer. And read your favourite online magazines.

Sorry, I thought that was a rhetorical question...

Well, for a start, sitting on the bog is about the only time people don't come and bother you for something. Also, if like us, your sh!t don't stink, then the environment is very peaceful and conducive to concentration. There are precious few other times when you can really afford to take the time to read, so I'm surprised that you're surprised.

As to it being 'British' I wouldn't know as I'm an Englishman and not some sort of Celt. (I had the feeling that you were English too, with that name and all, or did I give you more credit than you deserve?) Certainly, we English don't have books explaining that farting is no cause for anxiety as I understand they have in America, which suggests to me that the British perhaps have a more robust and practical view of toilets anyway.

You may have hit on an interesting point there. The English were the first people to stop squatting miserably over a hole to crap, and there must have been some reason behind the development of the 'toilet seat'. I daresay the gentleman thought he might like to take his time and read a good book.

---

Aren't snowboard mags a seasonal thing? They seem to disappear from Japanese bookshops with snow.