All you "gaijin" (!) - do you support Japan?

Hell ya...

It is so cool to be in japan now...you gotta root for the home team! last nights game was lots of fun...when japan scored its second goal we could hear cheers from every apt. in the area...nuts...

of course, USA will take it all, but I'm am with japan!

danz

Yes, I support Japan, because I like football and I'd like it to become more popular here. Japan also play reasonably attractive football based on speed and movement.

However, the media coverage is so sickeningly biased for Japan that it's easy for non-Japanese to secretly hope that the Japanese lose to save us from reporting that is even more Japan-centered.

As a major difference between Japan and England, in Japan, the support for the national team is way beyond the total of the support of the individual teams in the J-League. In England it's the opposite. Many of the most fanatical club supporters have never been to an England game and won't even make a lot of effort to tune in on the TV. They dislike the setup behind the national team and the politics of the FA, and would rather watch foreigners playing for their local team than a team of all English lads. I'm not hardcore, but I've been to around 50 club games and only one England game (the other day at Saitama). There are loads of England games I've missed on TV without really caring.

Quote:
However, the media coverage is so sickeningly biased for Japan that it's easy for non-Japanese to secretly hope that the Japanese lose to save us from reporting that is even more Japan-centered.

Oh how true that is.

Yeah I support Japan-NZ has been to the World Cup once and that's unlikely to happen again, but if Saudi Arabia can qualify....Also cheering for Korea-boys rocked last night didn't they? Hope both teams make it through to the 2nd round.

....but posting under a different name.

No, I do NOT support Japan.

Witness the fanatical crazy media right now taking it all to extremes, and that's why.

I wish I could, but I can't.

What about the UK yahoo site. Until yesterday, the main headline was still that England beat Argentina. And that match was a few days ago.

I think every country is guilty of overkill due to patriotism, especially the underdogs. I'm sure if Scotland ever won the world cup (or anything for that matter- including Bingo at Largs), we'd never let anybody hear the end of it.

Countries that win all the time may think it's overkill, 'coz they forget their countries wins right away - they lose their importance 'coz theres so many wins to be proud of.

I digress, but my point is, that countries with few sporting achievements deserve to hog the limelight when they get the chance.

Sharon, the UK Yahoo site may have been covering the win. But I think the point many of the people here have is not the coverage being there - that's fine - it's just THE WAY they cover it in a mass hysteria fashion. They even showed a pub in England watching the Japan game to report on the "reaction" over there. Now that is pretty sad, don't you think?

If you're Japanese, support Korea!

Even from the totally cynical self-interest point of view, the better they do, the easier it will be for Asian teams to get into the next World Cup. The team I support in England (Newcastle) is in the Champions League next year due to English teams being given an extra slot thanks to the success of one of our rivals (Leeds United) last year. Two of the weakest teams this time were the the Asian qualifiers China and Saudi, so its probably more important than you think.