Well you're not too breet then are you? Out of the thousands of issues that might arise, how about these for starters:

- do they go to a Japanese school or an international school?

- is it expensive?

- how do the Japanese kids treat your offspring?

- do they enjoy school?

- many problems?

That kind of stuff.

- do they go to a Japanese school or an international school?

Yes, if you want them be 'international', no if you want them to belong to one culture.

- is it expensive?

Yes, if you send them to an expensive poncey school, and less so if you don't (until they join a school club and use all your life savings buying one baseball glove).

- how do the Japanese kids treat your offspring?

Like they do their other mates, only they want to go to your house more often than other kids'.

- do they enjoy school?

Yes. More than I did, that's for sure.

- many problems?

No.

There are at least 4 'doubles' or 'halfs' at my boy's very average small-town playschool, and of those, one family likes to get its knickers in a twist over stuff. Consequently, they often have their knickers in a twist.

Most of my mates with half children are bothered to some extent about them getting a Japanese education, but I'm not. You learn the most important stuff at home anyway.

H.jpg

He's just got his chompers cleaned at the dentist and he was showing me them (and sharing in my outrage that he was finally able to get them cleaned without having to go to the dentist's three times according to the 'kimari'). It's not because he's been called 'half' (again).

Ocean11, do you like the term half? I have heard people calling their half-gaijin-half-Japanese as "Double" or "Bai" ( eek.gif ). Your thoughts, dear sir.

[This message has been edited by brit-gob (edited 11 June 2002).]

Interesting question that.

Basically, nothing is improved by being viewed through the prism of race. When I lived in England, I probably called people of mixed race 'half-caste' or maybe 'mixed race' (and 'mongrel' in private). That was before I got into the game of making them myself. I can't really now get all huffy if people call my boy 'half', and I can't really be bothered with PC stuff like 'double' - that's not really an English or Japanese expression.

So for the most part, if I use anything, I use 'half', and usually qualify it with something a bit more detailed like 'half English' or 'half Japanese'. The good thing about the 'half' concept is that you can identify the bad or annoying traits with the 'other' half; cries when having a splinter pulled out? "That's your mother's half there boy" (not to be said too seriously or the violent side of both of 'em might come out.)

By the way, I think it's really funny how many half kids called Hannah and Ken there are.

We've got a 18 month old sprog, so we're weighing up the options right now. We're in fairly rural Fukushima right now so there's not gonna be many halves around.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 7 year old attending an elem school on the outskirts of Tokyo, there is 1 other half there, and there are no problems. He loves school and has lots of Japanese buddies.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just wondering about this the other day when my Japanese friend was talking about the cost of education here. Does it cost a fortune to send kids to school here?

• 6 years later...