After watching Ireland dominate a game but loose it because the rules state that you must decide the winner with the ridiculous penalty shootouts, I felt I must announce my complete hatred with the system. I just wanted to know what other people think of them.

I hate them too.

It just seems so unfair on the team (and the players that miss) that goes out on penalties.

What a fantastic match last night between Korea and Italy. I started the world cup not really supporting them but their spirit has just one me over. Can't wait to see them play again

I say if the match goes 10 hours fine.

shootouts are dumb.

But scheduling is an important issue.

If a team plays one of these 10 hour matches, they should not have to play 2 days later, because the other team would have an unfair advantage.

I get bored watching a game that goes on and on. You have to stop it at some point.

And why are penalty shoot outs 'unfair'? There's an element of chance in most goals, but skill is a bigger element. Teams with good penalty kickers and good goalies are going to do better than teams without.

They used to toss a coin and shake hands in the 1960s. This could be localized for this World Cup into janken (saisho wa gu!), a reverential bow, and a yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

As another suggestion, after the standard 15min each way extra time, they could try taking off three guys from each team for another two halves of 15min by 15min. This should open up things enough for someone to score, like in the rugby sevens. You could then take another two guys off if necessary. A mockery compared to eleven-a-side maybe, but still a lot closer than penalties.

Maybe I'm just a cruel person, but the simplest and neatest solution would be for both teams to go out of the tournament if the winner isn't decided after 120min. Nobody won, so nobody goes through. You wouldn't get teams playing for penalties that way. The opponent in the next round (who must have won legitimately) would get a bye. Ordinary football has improved dramatically since the changes that made a draw worth less than half of a win, and I don't see why the concept can't be extended to a knockout competition (the final excluded).

Italy lost to Brazil on penalties in the World Cup Final in the USA in 1994. As no-one will forget, it was Roberto Baggio who missed. He came back and scored one in the 1998 games during regular time.

• 8 years later...

If it can't be decided in open play, then why the hell not. Get with the program. You want it devided on good boy looks?

Got better suggestions? Perhaps the WAGS score would be an interesting one. England would win easily. So long as Terry was in the team. Which woud be for another 3 months or so.